Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries IRS Form 8879 Not Printing Date on ERO Signature Line

MariaR
Level 3

Anybody else notice the IRS Form 8879 is not printing the Date at the bottom?

Part III, ERO signature | Date (name prints but Date is blank)

How to report this to maybe get it updated?

Thanks!

0 Cheers
19 Comments 19
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Mine never has, if yours has done it before, there must be a choice in Tools > Options somewhere. 

The state of CA 8879 does print the date for me, but the federal one doesn't.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Same here.  Never has printed on the IRS form but prints on the IL form.

If someone knows how to remove it on the IL form, please let me know.  I would prefer to manually add the date when I actually sign the form.

PATAX
Level 15

Never has printed on the federal or state e-file signature authorization forms that I have done. I like to manually enter the date.

dkh
Level 15

In ProSeries Professional there is a check box on the 8879 to generate today's date on all signature lines     

not sure if they can be set to auto fill when generating a new file  ???

IRonMaN
Level 15

Preparers actually sign and date those things?🤔

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN The date on there is very important as you know. From what I learned at seminars/webinars, if IRS visits tax pro then they may ask to see a sample of those forms, and they check the dates very carefully. Once in a great while, elderly people or others put down wrong date, and I make them correct it and put in correct date. Better to be safe nerd, than sorry nerd.🤓🐕☝️

IRonMaN
Level 15

I get that, but the question was about the ERO signature line.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN yeah you are right. pop bottles are scratched.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have lots that dont enter a date at all, but as long as were EFiling on that same day I signed/dates, I dont really worry about it, but when its been weeks between my date and their signing, I make sure a date gets entered, I dont want it to look like stock piling.  Weve got 3 days to transmit from the time they sign the 8879.   

When people mail them back to me and the form was signed/dated a week before they finally mailed it, I write on the top of the form the date I received it  in the mail,  just in case IRS ever checks dates.

PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- 3 days from when we receive it. If it comes in the mail, I save the actual mailing envelope that it was mailed in, and I write on the envelope the date and day that I received it. (Usually the postmark is also on the envelope).

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre a better man than I, LOL  I dont save the envelope!

PATAX
Level 15

Nerds are a little bit Paranoid by their nature.

IRonMaN
Level 15

For some that owe, I tell them wait and mail the payment on the last mail truck out of town on the due date if you want, but get the 8879 back to me right away.  Some of those rocket scientists will sign it when the get home and then mail it to me a month later.  I don't mess around with documenting anything.  If the IRS wants to come and look at the rest of my client files they can see that I don't sit on anything.  Once I get the 8879, I pack up the suitcase and put the return on the bus to the IRS.  All I can say is --------- CAGMC.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@IRonMaN  - I agree.  My take is that if the e-file police show up & want to shut down my office... GREAT !

I've never understood the 'why' of the 3-day/stockpiling rule.  I'm sure there's a logical (some sort of fraud prevention?) reason or the IRS wouldn't have put the rule in place /S.

Maybe @BobKamman knows?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Maybe Bob knows?"

Careful what you wish for 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm the last person to know anything about e-filing, since professional ethics keep me from sharing client data with third parties like Intuit, and from allowing IRS to inspect files of legal clients.  But I did once work with the IRS branch chief responsible for promoting it, back in the late 70s.  We took care of his dog when he was on vacation, he chewed off the corner of our Bicentennial-theme rug.  The dog, not the friend. The whole program is directed at shutting down sole practitioners -- remember the days of bidirectional modems? -- so it might be part of that scheme.  Or maybe, they figure in four days Congress can amend the law retroactively.  But it probably comes from fear that balance-due returns will be stockpiled until April 14, and then shut down the system.  

And I know someone will ask if I file more than 10 returns, so the answer is that I don't file any returns.  That's defined as taking them to the mailbox or Post Office.  I used to do that for a few elderly widows, but now I just provide envelopes to everyone.  

MariaR
Level 3

I looked back and it didn't do it before.

I used to not have the date printed before either so I could date it myself, but this year I decided to have the date print - that's how I actually noticed this now LOL

Either way, if it does print the name & date on the CA 8879, why wouldn't it print BOTH name & date on the IRS 8879? It's just weird, unless there's something behind the scenes or some special rule I'm overlooking...?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its does it for the CA 8879 automatically by default, I didn't tell it to, but not for the federal....I dont know why.

MariaR
Level 3

Yeah, weird, right? How do I get this on Intuit's radar (long shot to get a fix now, I know) but maybe for next year they can update that. Maybe it's a simple fix and we get it now, who knows LOL