Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries error message

KTracey
Level 2

Had a power surge from the electric pole to my Windows 10 computer which totally fried it.  New system is Windows 11.  Have reinstalled ProSeries 2021 & 2022.  When opening either the following message appears: "Get an app to open this 'res' link.  Your PC doesn't have an app that can open this link. Try looking for a compatible app in the Microsoft Store."  Checking the MS store returns "No results."  Broadening a search at the MS Store provides apps which don't seem to be what I'm looking for, but that may be due to my ignorance about this issue.  I also cannot get updates to the software, or even check for them.  I have updated Windows which has not helped.  I would appreciate any help with resolving this.  Thanks!

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I haven't seen this message mentioned before, Im afraid you'll need to call support in the morning. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

This error, which is preventing ProSeries Professional from accepting any updates, is on 2 of 3 stand alone PCs.  I called Intuit for help - she tried a few things, but unsuccessful so far.  Intuit rep told me to contact IT or possibly Microsoft - waiting for an Intuit "Supervisor" to call back.  I told her Intuit software is not updating so Intuit has to find resolution.  My guess is that Intuit updates were not completed for a few weeks & caused this problem.

I also called an IT company who was familiar w this error & suggested completely deleting everything on computer & reload all programs, but no guarantee this will work.  They have seen this error & stated Intuit software engineers need to speak to MS software engineers.

Get an app to open this "res link"

Your PC doesn't have an app that can open this link.  Try looking for a compatible app in the Microsoft store. - There is no app in the MS store.

How have others resolved this problem?  Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

How did you resolve the problem?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

this "res" that its referring to sounds like a file ending that it doesnt recognize so it doesnt know how to open it, like an .exe is an executable or a .pdf is opened by your reader program, or a .jpeg is opened by the program you have set to open pictures........does the file youre attempting to open have .res on the end of it?  Im wondering if that means it was "restored" somehow.  (but unless youve got your system set to see the file endings, you probably cant even answer that question)

Did you uninstall the Proseries programs you had that were screwed up by the power surge, reboot the computer, then redownload/install fresh copies of the program from your Intuit account? That would be the order of events I would have followed.

This sounds like a Windows issue in that it doesnt know how to open the file that youre using to open ProSeries, whether thats a Windows issue or a Proseries installation snafu, without being there seeing whats happening, I can't tell you.....I do the majority of my own IT, but this situation Id probably call in my guy that does this kinda stuff for a living.

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

10-17-23 Update

James, a so-called supervisor, wasted my time & his time.  From the beginning of the call back, I could tell he was going to tell me that it was my problem - not Intuit's problem.   The Intuit program does not update & he doesn't have a fix. 

Intuit has been no real help at all in this problem.  Disgusting.

While I will try more, the only answer may be to completely erase the computer & reload all programs.

If you have experienced a similar problem, please advise.

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

Lisa,

Thanks for trying.  All basic steps, and then some, have been taken.  Intuit is not helpful at all. 

Please see my other post today. 

In the past, I saw this error in the Accountants Community.  Those posts have mysteriously disappeared & James stated he never saw this error before.  Maybe he is new.

Thanks again.

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

Res Link error

Intuit pretends this is an isolated case.  I have seen this error before in the Accountants Community, but it is very difficult to find as if no one else had the error.

These posts will soon disappear also.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I kept getting Access Denied messages trying to respond this this, so weird...

@IntuitGabi  is there anyone that can respond to this customer?   Their issue seems to be outside what regular tech support can handle and they need to narrow down whether its a computer/Windows issue or a ProSeries installation issue.

I personally dont remember ever seeing this problem mentioned before, but thats not to say it hasnt happened!

IntuitGabi
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the late response. I'll pass this onto my colleagues to see if we can gather more information on this.  @Bob G @Just-Lisa-Now- 

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

Microsoft solved in a few minutes this morning.  Thanks.

Bob G
Level 3

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Bob G wrote:

So it WAS a Microsoft issue?  Could you summarize the problem, with some clues to the solution in case someone else runs across this thread?

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

Lisa,

Microsoft felt there was a ProSeries update issue on one of the downloads which may have been interrupted or interferred with by an other computer action.

They suggested that I NOT do a factory reset as I believed was necessary, but simply reinstall windows over the existing windows program.  It corrected any res link issues.

msscpa64
Level 1

I'm having the same issue and Intuit is not helping.  Intuit better get a handle on this or they are going to loose at least this customer.

0 Cheers
Bob G
Level 3

If your problem is the res link error...   

Contact Microsoft online to request they call you. 

They had me re-install my Win 11 on top of existing Win 11.   

That takes a few hrs but immediately fixes the problem.

msscpa64
Level 1

Do you recommend I call Microsoft and have them assist me in reinstalling or can I use my tech guy to reinstall?

0 Cheers
KTracey
Level 2

I think you can use your tech guy, or could do it yourself.  As a precaution you may want to make sure you have backed up whatever files you don't want to lose before you start.  Choosing the option to keep your files during the reinstall process should work, but I prefer to err on the side of having a current backup just in case.

I did a full backup on an external drive first before starting the reinstall and it resolved the problem.  My data files were unaffected but I had to reinstall all my programs.  The backup might seem redundant but I didn't want to chance losing necessary files.