Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries and TPG Problem with Name Suffixes and Refund Checks

WTSAbe
Level 3

Proseries and TPG has a problem with not printing suffixes, i.e. (Jr. Sr, III, etc.) on refund checks.  This has been an ongoing problem for years with TPG.  In Proseries you put suffixes in a separate input box. On all the TPG paperwork it's prints they full name with the suffix.  In TPG system it never shows suffixes and they don't print them out on the refund checks.  This was a problem today because my client couldn't get his check cashed at two different locations because "Jr." wasn't on his check. He was able to get it cash at a third location after showing his SSN card and taxes so they could match it with the last four of his SSN on the check.  I don't know if the problem is on Proseries end with not transmitting the suffix or TPG doesn't store the suffix or Proseries has to combine the last name and suffix in last name field when it transmit the data to TPG but it needs to be resolve ASAP. 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Consider direct deposit in the future.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Just curious as to how big of a problem this is.  How many Jr's do you have using TPG?  Also what type of entities was he trying to cash the check at?

Slava Ukraini!
WTSAbe
Level 3

I have had a number of juniors over the years that uses bank products and select the check options. Walmart in my city is the most popular place people go to cash bank products checks and they seem to be hardcore about the name on the check matching the person ID.  All my clients have been able to get their checks cash at another location either a Wells Fargo or they just went to a cash checking place or another Walmart outside of our area.  I print less than 10 checks a year from bank products everybody else is direct deposit. This problem has been going on at least 5 years.  

0 Cheers