Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProSeries 2023 install - getting message that I can't install because I am not running 64-bit

chrisnd1993
Level 2

So, today the ProSeries 2023 became available. So I downloaded it, and when I tried to install it, I received the following error:

"ProSeries can't be installed on this computer. At Intuit, security and performance are fundamental to how we design and build our products. If your system is not at least Windows 10 or 64-bit or Windows Server 2016, click "OK" and restart installation after upgrading your system."

Problem is, I am running a 64-bit Windows 11 computer. And the technician at Intuit said I needed to "Update Windows" which I did (now running Windows 11 Home Version 23H2), and then she said I needed to "Update my Drivers", but wasn't able to identify which driver (she thought perhaps my graphics card, but that is already updated).

Any thoughts or ideas as to what driver's I need to update? My computer meets or exceeds all of the necessary performance recommendations, and I am running Framework.NET 4.8

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitParmanand
Employee
Employee

From our analysis, it was discovered that installation was blocked because the installer application was launched in compatibility mode. With ProSeries 2023, only 64-bit operating system which are Windows 10 or later are supported. 

Launching in compatibility mode essentially means that you would be trying to launch the installer on an unsupported OS.

To avoid this, make sure that the compatibility mode is disabled by following the below steps:

1. Right click on the installer exe.

2. Select Properties, and go to compatibility tab.

3. Under the Compatibility mode, uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Check-box.

4. Click apply and Ok. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
15 Comments 15
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with it right now because the software is pretty much useless until at least mid-December.  Most likely you don't need to update anything - most likely ProSeries just needs to fix whatever problem they have with the new software. 

So my recommendation is to wait a month.

chrisnd1993
Level 2

Yeah, that was my thought as well, but the Intuit technician could neither confirm nor deny that that was a viable solution.

I do like having the software installed, though, because I will occasionally use it as a tax-planning tool for some year end business clients.

But waiting until December is probably my best bet. Thanks.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi should we flag posts like this for an engineer to be aware of?  Im sure there will be more.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ljr
Level 8

I downloaded it just because I want to be able to access the client checklists for my year end mailing. I know to watch for all the issues/bugs. But I had no issues with download and opening  - your problem might be a windows 11 issue again. I'm still using windows 10 and it was fine. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was going to download with Windows 11 ---------- just because it can't be done?????  But when I logged in I see my credit card hasn't been processed yet so I know if I didn't pay for it yet, I'm not going to get it - which I'm guessing is what is happening to some people.  For the record, when I clicked "download next year" from my ProSeries program, a window opened up after I signed in telling me I had some kind of issues with what appeared to by my "Lacerte" program ------- God bless Intuit for being such a fine tuned machine.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I was going to download with Windows 11 ---------- just because it can't be done?????  But when I logged in I see my credit card hasn't been processed yet so I know if I didn't pay for it yet, I'm not going to get it - which I'm guessing is what is happening to some people.  For the record, when I clicked "download next year" from my ProSeries program, a window opened up after I signed in telling me I had some kind of issues with what appeared to by my "Lacerte" program ------- God bless Intuit for being such a fine tuned machine.

I cant download it yet either, my auto-renewal processes this week sometime, I guess we cant download until that happens.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Donba
Level 1

I had called last Friday as it looked like I could download year 2023.  Message, your fast path license needs to be renewed or verified.  Clicked visit "my account", nothing no forward guidance.  Called and spent an hours total time with being on hold, proving I am me and then was told had not paid for this year's tax software, that is why you cannot download.  Set for auto renewal November 6th to pay. 

Tried to download again today the 7th, still the same message and result, not able to download the year 2023 pro series software.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Have you checked to see if your credit card has actually been charged?

As a side note, this early in the year the software is completely useless so what's the rush?

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

2023 became available to download for me just today..  I see the program does open up quicker compared to prior years.. the splash screen is real nice with the updated inuit logo. the two dots are gone and the letter n is differnet... i think this is a minimilist approach to the logo.   I have a feeling this is going to be a great tax season.. no more one third of covid withdrawals from 2020, no  stimulus reconciling.. no advance child tax credits... back to a normal year it looks like. ready for the first client.. when is opening day!

IntuitParmanand
Employee
Employee

Hi @chrisnd1993 , 

Please reach out to customer support or send your contact details to proseries_engineering@intuit.com in case you are still blocked with the installation of ProSeries 2023.

0 Cheers
IntuitParmanand
Employee
Employee

From our analysis, it was discovered that installation was blocked because the installer application was launched in compatibility mode. With ProSeries 2023, only 64-bit operating system which are Windows 10 or later are supported. 

Launching in compatibility mode essentially means that you would be trying to launch the installer on an unsupported OS.

To avoid this, make sure that the compatibility mode is disabled by following the below steps:

1. Right click on the installer exe.

2. Select Properties, and go to compatibility tab.

3. Under the Compatibility mode, uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Check-box.

4. Click apply and Ok. 

0 Cheers
Jonesin1
Level 4

To update drivers on Windows, you can use the Device Manager. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager from the list of options.
  2. In the Device Manager window, locate the device you want to update.
  3. Right-click on the device and select Update driver.
  4. In the Update Drivers window, select Search automatically for updated driver software.
  5. If Windows finds an updated driver, it will install it automatically.

Alternatively, you can use Windows Update to get the latest drivers. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click on Check for updates.
  5. If there are any driver updates available, they will be listed under Optional updates. Click on Download and install to install the updates.

It’s always a good idea to keep your drivers up to date to ensure that your devices work properly and efficiently. 

0 Cheers
snook2021
Level 1

I am receiving the same error message as of 2/12/24?

0 Cheers
Intuit_Ramky
Employee
Employee

@snook2021 Could you please check above suggested steps to resolve your issue. 

0 Cheers
chrisnd1993
Level 2

The Intuit Technician who uses the name "Parmanand" solved the problem - you have to turn off compatibility mode. Not sure why it defaulted to that when the software is downloaded from the website, but that did end up solving my issue once it was diagnosed as such.