Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries 2017 Updater will not work. It begins checking for updates then I get a windows error saying it crashed.

damionp
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did rebooting your computer help?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did rebooting your computer help?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
alphy
Level 3

It's February and I have the same problem. There are other December posts with the same problem, but I haven't seen a solution posted. I have a network install, and updater crashes on the Admin workstation as well as the other workstations. The original problem was the 1065's and 1120S's not showing up on the workstations. So I tried a clean install on the admin workstation, then I get the update crashing error. If I install just the 1040, it works fine. As soon as I add the 1065, updater crashes. And yes, I've rebooted numerous times in the process. I even tried to clean up the registry of all prior traces of ProSeries 2017, and also tried using another computer as the Admin computer. Same problem. I've been on hold with support for an hour, and have to go soon. IF I ever get a hold of somebody, I'll post an update.

0 Cheers
alphy
Level 3

Here's the solution they gave me, and so far it works.

On the Admin workstation, go to C:\ProSeries\ProNet17\Updates. Delete all the files below the .htm files. Then go to C:\ProWin17 and open inventory.dat in notepad. Delete all the lines above "Components" and save the file. Then run ProSeries update and it should work without crashing.

I have yet to test the other workstations to see if it works there.

Note: these are the instructions for a network install. Procedure will likely be different for a standalone install.

tc64540
Level 2

The answer is correct except that everything UNDER "Components" should be deleted.

Everything under "Components" and before "Products" but everything else was spot on,  thank you for providing an answer for the community!