Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Form 7206

There is a problem with Form 7206 properly populating.  If you have Form 1095 coverage for a self-employed person and you link it to the the business for the self-employed deduction, the program is calculating properly (or within a few dollars) but it is not populating the amount paid for self-employed health insurance on line 1 of the Form 7206. 

Since this didn't make sense to me but knowing the form is new, I actually read the instructions (highly recommended) but didn't find anything to account for the program leaving line 1 blank.  The fix is easy.  All you need to do is drop the amount on line 1 of Form 7206.

In my case, the client was entitled to additional credits.  I unlinked the insurance from the business and did the calculation manually because I wasn't convinced the program was doing that properly either.  The check to see if the manual calculation is correct is also easy.  Take the total from Part III, Column A of the 1095A and subtract the amount found in Column C.  The remainder is the amount that needs to be allocated between remaining credits and the deduction.  Call this amount "X".  Ignore credits and put the difference (X) solely as SE insurance.  Then look at at what the program says the credits will be.  Total the credits shown and the amount you just deducted.  This will be an amount greater than X.  Subtract this excess from the health insurance deduction and repeat the process.  Continue doing so until the SE deduction and the credits equal X.  Should only take four calculations.  This manual calculation was a few dollars different from what the program calculated.  So it appears the problem is just that Line 1 of Form 7206 isn't populating.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Beadlady
Level 1

Does anyone know if ProSeries is planning on fixing this anytime soon? Are you even required to file 7206 if all the insurance is from the marketplace?

0 Cheers