Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prior year return

gwhite822
Level 2

Hello I have a question. I have a client that last year i got her caught up on taxes and filed about 3 years worth and along with that was 2020 taxes. Since during the Pandemic it was all done remotely collecting documents and information answered through messenger. This client contacted me to start working on this years taxes and proceeded to tell me it would be just her because her husband passed away. As i got started i asked for her husbands date of death for form 1040 she told me it was in feb of 2020. so she had me file her taxes last year not stating her husband had died. My question is how should i handle this? Should i amend last year return or should i just file this year as single and go on? I have never came across this issue. Thanks 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

If he died in 2020, the return was filed correctly --------- it just omitted providing the information that he died.  I wouldn't do anything at this point.

Slava Ukraini!
gwhite822
Level 2

ok thank you

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I hope she knew how much income her late husband had, when she contacted you for help catching up on delinquent returns.  I hope she knew that she's liable for taxes on his income, now that she has filed joint returns, unless she later qualifies for "innocent spouse" relief.  Well, they can always open an estate and have the 2020 joint return changed to separate, within a year following its due date.  But that year may not be the problem here.  

"Know your client" is always good advice.  Especially during a pandemic, not except during a pandemic.  

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I am still trying to figure out how the husband signed the returns for the prior years and 2020.🙄

IRonMaN
Level 15

Signatures from dead guys tend to be a little hard to read.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers