Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prior year overpayment on MD 511

Thx in advance
Level 2

Proseries does not automatically roll prior year Form 511 PTE refunds over to the next year.  I have a client with a $9500 2022 511 refund that was applied to 2023. Where do I enter it?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

You are correct, MD does not play nice with 511 overpayments applied to the following year.  Per my call to the Comptroller's office a few years ago, I add it on the extra estimated tax lines as a 12/31/22 estimate.  Do NOT list it in the qtrs 1-4 estimate and do not list it with a 2023 date.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
dascpa
Level 11

You are correct, MD does not play nice with 511 overpayments applied to the following year.  Per my call to the Comptroller's office a few years ago, I add it on the extra estimated tax lines as a 12/31/22 estimate.  Do NOT list it in the qtrs 1-4 estimate and do not list it with a 2023 date.

Thx in advance
Level 2

Brilliant!  Thanks for this!  I know MD is matching payments "manually" so the last thing I wanted to do was show it with the quarterly estimated tax payments and have them hold up the return chasing something that was an overpayment, not an estimate.  Thank you also for the advice about dating it 12/31/22 to indicate prior year overpayment.  I truly appreciate your advice!

0 Cheers