Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRIOR PREPARER MADE MATH ERRORS

Robert Balter
Level 2

I AM TRYING TO RECREATE THE ORIGINAL RETURN SO THAT I CAN AMEND IT. THE ORIGINAL PREPARER MADE MATH ERRORS WHICH I CANNOT MATCH WITHOUT OVERRIDING. 

BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR AMENDING IN PROSERIES SAY NOT TO OVERRIDE ON THE FILE FOR THE ORIGINAL RETURN. 

ANYBODY HAVE AN IDEA HOW TO DO THAT?

MUCH THANKS

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

Why do you care?  E-Filing an amended return only saves two or three days from the eight or ten months it will take to process a paper return.  Is your client expecting a refund, or is there money owed?  Did the client receive a "math error" notice from IRS?  Are you within the 60-day period for protesting it and avoiding the assessment?  

gsa11
Level 3

Last I checked, ProSeries won't let you efile an amended return if you didn't prepare the return yourself.

I would just start with a new client file and prepare the return correctly and then add on the 1040X and fill in the first column from the incorrect return.  It is less work and less frustration to do it manually versus inputting the incorrect data into a new client file and then following the steps for amending a return just to have the first column of the 1040X to autofill.

0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

you're not going to be able to e-file an amended return for a return you did not originally e-file yourself. Input the return and override where necessary to get the original file to match then do the amended and you will have to mail it in unfortunately. 

Just curious - you said there are math errors on the original return - I'm assuming the prior preparer did it by hand? not sure how you would have math errors otherwise. 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15