Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous years tax returns

rcooley25
Level 11

Yesterday, April 11th, I prepared tax returns for 2 individuals who had not file for 2 years. Each one had a great deal of money coming back from each year.

What in the name of God would make people set on this much money for so long?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dascpa
Level 11

Forced savings.  If they had it two years ago it would have been spent.  And since the banks were paying 0.1% interest, leaving it with government was about the same. 

Same old issue - would you prefer $1,000 back or an extra $20 per week in your paycheck.  most people would blow the $20.  Economics of money or psychology of money.  In your client's case - lazy.

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

I have a few that don’t bother to file until the 3 year statute looms… filed 3 2019 returns last month. Have one going in the mail today with 3k refund…. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
rcooley25
Level 11

I could not agree with you more.

Laziness is the best description.

BobKamman
Level 15

Just because taxes are the most important thing in your life right now doesn't mean taxes are the most important thing in the lives of normal people.  Maybe they didn't care to share with you the family tragedies that disrupted their routine for the past couple years.  Or maybe the refunds are a drop in the bucket compared with the profits from selling fentanyl that they didn't tell you about.  

rcooley25
Level 11

Here is another weird case. I had a four Oclock appointment for today and he just called me to inform me that 6 days for the deadline he hs to cancell because he does not have all of his paperwork together. Can you believe that.

As far as  making another appointment guess what I told him .

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@rcooley25 I know exaclty what you mean.. each appointment slot I book is a valuable, sought after spot and I had someone just no show me this morning.  I know something could have happened to them but I am guessing they just didn't show for whatever reason.  oh well.. I filled it with some monthly write ups that I fell behind on. 

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

IRS pay interest on refund