Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparer electronic signature

tctxldy
Level 3

Is there a way for tax preparer to sign a return that needs to be mailed in such as an amended return.  I want to email the amended return to client.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

There's an option for the preparers name to print in the signature area (tools > firm/preparer info) that printed signature is sufficient for IRS purposes.  Then youd just have to have confidence that the client could print and arrange the  forms properly and sign where they need to and put it in an envelope for mailing....I personally have little faith in most people to make this happen properly and will pad my prep fee enough to cover the cost to print it and mail it to them and have them mail it in.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dascpa
Level 11

You will sign as preparer.

But under what authority do you have to sign as the taxpayer on a tax return?  

Isn't that the whole reason for the E-file Authorization signature forms?  It's the client's tax return, not yours.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

There's an option for the preparers name to print in the signature area (tools > firm/preparer info) that printed signature is sufficient for IRS purposes.  Then youd just have to have confidence that the client could print and arrange the  forms properly and sign where they need to and put it in an envelope for mailing....I personally have little faith in most people to make this happen properly and will pad my prep fee enough to cover the cost to print it and mail it to them and have them mail it in.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
itonewbie
Level 15

As Lisa says, it is acceptable to simply print the preparer's name on the return as the signature.  That's usually the default in software, AFAIK.

In case you are curious, the authority is from §6061 and the rules are prescribed by the IRS in Notice 2004-54.

FWIW, for returns that can't be e-filed for whatever reason, we do upload the packaged filing copy to our secure client portal with clear instructions for the client to print, sign, and paper file.  Whether that's suitable would depend on your client base, for example, whether they are tech savvy or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar