Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP Loan causing distributions in excess of earnings

taxartist
Level 2

I am in this scenario with PPP crossing years: negative retained earnings, and distributions in excess of retained earnings as a result. Is it acceptable to defer the PPP expense recognition until 2021 (cash basis taxpayer)? Or, can I create shareholder loans (2 shareholders) to balance Schedule L? Or is there some other guidance you can provide to help me get this resolved? I just think it stinks if my clients have to have capital gains this year due to the PPP loan not being forgiven until 2021. I am positive they will be forgiven the entire amount, as it was only $41k, and we have complete documentation to satisfy any requirements. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
pamdory
Level 8

AICPA filed a request for guidance from IRS March 16th or 17th on the timing of reclassifying the PPP liability as tax-exempt income.

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/news/2021/mar/ppp-loan-forgiveness-s-corps-partnerships-guidanc...

I'm holding some of these returns for this reason.  

taxartist
Level 2

Thank you! I will hold onto mine as well. I will just have to explain it is the best option, considering the consequences. The shareholders are chomping at the bit to get their K-1s, but patience is called for in this situation.

0 Cheers