Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post office woes

Dummer19
Level 3

Anyone else have (and still having) issues with the USPO?  In my case, I have 5 check written to me from clients as far back as March 2021 yet to arrive at my office.  I had a tax return envelope that I mailed to a client 5 miles away and it took a month to arrive; 2 others within 20 miles that took over 20 days.  I've had envelopes mailed to the correct address with correct postage marked RTS, uncancelled, and the client has lived there for years.  I have contacted both MO senators, only Sen. Blunt has given me any attention so far.  What do we do?  These are time-sensitive documents that have penalty and interest implications at stake.  I have never had this problem in 45 years in the biz.  Am I alone?  Is this the year to retire?  Or was that last year?

22 Comments 22
JRC
Level 8

COVID....LOL

PATAX
Level 15

No you are not alone.... Have been waiting over two weeks for correspondence mailed to me by a client and she mailed it to me inside the post office here in area.. Last week did not get mail one day and didn't see the mailman in the area, not the first time either...WHAT A JOKE...

IRonMaN
Level 15

I've seen a little hiccup every now and then, but no major issues.  But I worked for the Post Office for a bit when I was going to college so maybe I'm on a list someplace that gives me preferential treatment 😉

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Covid is nothing to laugh about.  Missouri ranks near the bottom of states (39th including DC) in vaccination rate (44%), even below Florida and Texas.

BobKamman
Level 15

The Post Office does not do well with handwritten addresses.  I always send an envelope with computer-printed return address, when I send a bill.  And if I ask a client to mail me anything else, they will get an addressed envelope.  

The highest levels of PO management are embroiled in political scandal and budget restraints.  The troops are generally doing the best they can.  Keep track of average delivery time for mail you receive, and if it is consistently not meeting standards, file a complaint online.  It will get down to your local postmaster, while drawing attention at higher levels.  I did that for a package (not business-related) that was lost for a couple months -- the postal worker who investigated it called to apologize when they couldn't find it, and then called again to apologize when it eventually turned up.  

dkh
Level 15

I quite frequently use Priority Mail Envelopes - What A Joke - PRIORITY NOT !     For those that want to say don't use Priority Mail - it's the only option sometimes.   

Had one envelope delivered to ME instead of the client.   

Had one envelope that went all the way to Washington state and back before being delivered to the client  3 weeks after I mailed.  Client is approx 20 miles from my office.

@Dummer19 wrote:

Is this the year to retire?  Or was that last year?

Retirement ........it does sound enticing..

PATAX
Level 15

@dkh you hit the nail on the head... Used Priority Mail few years ago to mail to out-of-town client... Client didn't get it and they said it was stuck in a loop south of the Mason-Dixon line... had to resend to client and they charged me for the postage again... I didn't care about the postage fee but crap like that can annoy one...

IRonMaN
Level 15

Starting with last tax season, I began using priority mail using my Pitney Bowes account.  I get my pretty little Pitney Bowes label printed out, stick it to one of my own envelopes and let it fly.   I get my notifications when it is delivered and life is good.  The only time I had an issue was last year.  I sent a tax return out to one of my clients that winter in Arizona and doesn't return until the first part of May.  Well last year she decided to depart at the end of March.  She left Arizona one morning and  I got notification that it was delivered into her mailbox that afternoon.  Eventually she got things squared away.  But other than that, everything I have sent out the last couple of years has been delivered timely as promised.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Yeah you are right Ironman.... It is not always the post office's fault... Years ago I mailed the client using Post Office priority mail package... Client said she never received it... I went inside post office and talked to the postman who is also a client and he said it was delivered... I called the client back and told her to recheck... She said she found it in her garbage in her house, she said she thought it was junk mail and threw it in there... Real Mrs. Einstein there...

dkh
Level 15

Yep, Pitney Bowes for me too.   Sadly like @Dummer19  is experiencing this year, the USPS is not so efficient.

dascpa
Level 11

Every tax return in my office goes out Priority Mail with Tracking. The label prints out stating 1-day, 2-day, or 3-day delivery.  I also get a report of when delivered.  Average delivery time for 2021 is 9.75 days with a lot of my mail going to the same zip code or the zip code next to me.

Had some packages take months.  Had some packages mailed back to me as if I was the recipient. Complained to the Post Office. Complained to the Postmaster General. A few years ago never received mailed for 3 weeks straight during tax season.  Took that one to my Senator.  Bottom line, no one cares and no one did anything. Wish I had a lifetime pension for doing lousy work.  And prices are going up again August 29th and there will be a surcharge during this holiday season.

IRonMaN
Level 15

After reading this post, I think I need to go out and buy a lottery ticket.  I feel for you folks dealing with the problems you have experienced.  I haven't had a single issue with delivery times using priority mail.  But then again it's like dealing with ProSeries.  Some folks had major issues all tax season and some of us only dealt with some minor blemishes.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Not to mention when they deliver your incoming mail to the wrong address... I'd like to know just how hard is it to read a typed address on an envelope and deliver it to proper location?... I think I can train my German Shepherd to do that and I am not joking.....

IRonMaN
Level 15

That leads to a thought provoking question..  So, if dogs like to bite mail carriers, if a dog became a mail carrier, would other dogs try to bite him?

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

If he stinks, yes...

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN   Is Pitney-Bowes still in business?  Those were the days, when their machines were like Bell System phones, you could rent them but not buy them.  I use Stamps.com, pay a monthly fee which is probably less than yours at PB, use my own printer to do labels, envelopes and discount stamps (although the price comes out about the same for stamps, what with supplies). 

IRonMaN
Level 15

@BobKamman  - you are wrong about that monthly fee being less through stamps.com.  I don't pay any monthly fees --------------------------- I pay quarterly 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Check those quarters then.  Some of them may be silver and worth a lot more.  

Hillenburg
Level 4

The city I live in runs a charge account at my service station.  City clerk mails a check to station at the local post office.  My PO box is not 20 ft. from the counter where it was mailed.  After 2 trips to Kansas City and almost 4 weeks later I receive it.  I pay everything on line if possible.

Dummer19
Level 3

I never hand-address anything.

I have talked to the Postmaster here and she basically said "yep, things are tough all over.  We are frustrated too."    Great!

0 Cheers
Dummer19
Level 3

I have already talked with my local postmaster and contacted both MO senators.  Nothing from Hawley (surprise, surprise), but some sympathy from Blunt's office.  But NO ACTUAL help or changes.

Just going to keep squeaking the wheel...

0 Cheers
Dummer19
Level 3

I am with you.  Tracking is a joke!  Who cares about tracking an item that is nowhere in the system or the updates just stop even though the item has not been delivered...jeez.