Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible w/off's?

dude7707
Level 5

Potential client comes to me:  I’m trying to figure out how to form a business to write off all

my grocery expenses as an employee benefit expense. The expenses would grow to include

any cleaning and hygiene expenses and pet care.

One of my associates indicated, if the business was a dairy farmer, could w/off the grocery expenses?

IMO, if ER,

1.  Grocery Expenses would not be an EE benefit exp, nor considered ordinary and necessary for the business.

2.  Any cleaning or hygiene not deductible, assume personal.

3.  Pet care, ND, unless perhaps considered guard dog for farm.

Your thoughts?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Business write offs need to be for ordinary and necessary business expenses. 

I'm not sure how a dairy farmer could write off his personal groceries and such.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dude7707
Level 5

I agree Lisa, how are personal groceries considered ordinary and necessary business expenses?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@dude7707 wrote:

I agree Lisa, how are personal groceries considered ordinary and necessary business expenses?

They aren't.  I dont know what a capstone project is or what youre really looking for with this thread.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dude7707
Level 5

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

I suggest you start by reading the US tax code. We are here to help professional preparers, not to answer your other than tax business research questions.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

One of my associates indicated, if the business was a dairy farmer, could w/off the grocery expenses?

If that were true, wouldn't we all be dairy farmers......  and if that is true, I need to amend some tax returns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

What's the associate's name and address?  I'm sure one of those 80,000 new IRS agents would love to stop by for coffee one day 😬

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

A "capstone" project is like a final exam.

First, you don't even have an employee unless there is a corporation and there is payroll.

Second, understanding what is the business entity and the business operations is required before anything you asked can be answered.

"Your thoughts?"

You cannot shift personal life costs to business. Only the business activities are business. Your "friend" is trying a scam concept. This tells us the truth: "how to form a business to write off all"

A business is not formed to write off but to make something. Having a life is not a tax deduction.

All of this is Basic IRS guidance. You need to do some reading.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers