Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personally invested monies

Maribeth-Martin
Level 2

When A TP Purchased a C-Corp, he invested into the company his own monies through the years. Now that he is thinking of selling the C-Corp, he wants to get his personal invested money back out of the company that is not a part of the sale. How do I handle this transaction? Technically, through the years he "loaned" his personal money to the C-Corp, now he is thinking of selling the C-Corp someday down the road, so he wants to get his money back. Can this be done?  

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
sjrcpa
Level 15

Before closing, the corporation repays the loan.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Technically, through the years he "loaned" his personal money to the C-Corp"

What to you mean by "technically".  Is the money showing up as a loan or did it get coded as equity?

Slava Ukraini!
Maribeth-Martin
Level 2

Yes I believe it did

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It did which?

Ex-AllStar
Maribeth-Martin
Level 2

the bookkeeper put the money in the equity account in QB.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Then he didn't "loan" the money.  He invested the money and he will get it back once he sells the business - the money is part of his basis in the corporation's stock.

Slava Ukraini!
Maribeth-Martin
Level 2

Do I handle it that way even though it was a mistake which was caught when I was asked ti prep the books for sale?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are there signed loan agreements indicating that the money was loaned to the business?

Slava Ukraini!
Maribeth-Martin
Level 2

No sir, this is a very small corp. when the money was needed, he would just transfer into the bank account.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If it was reported as equity on prior tax returns and there aren't any documents indicating that they were loans, I think he is stuck with equity. 

Slava Ukraini!