Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal interest used for Scorp

Avs19
Level 5

A client of mine flips houses. She ran into some problems last year and had to max out some personal credit cards to keep the business going incurring around 10K in interest. What's the best way to show this on the balance sheet? Is it possible to write off the interest?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Avs19 wrote:

Can the materials and interest she racked up on her personal loans somehow be treated as capital or a loan?

Personal money spent for corporate expenses is a capital contribution, a loan, or an unreimbursed employee expense.  You'll need to ask more questions to the taxpayer to determine which applies.

If it is a capital contribution, look at the Instructions for line 28 of Schedule E.

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
itonewbie
Level 15

Possibly.  See §1.163-8T for interest tracing rules.

Edit: Didn't notice this is for an S corp.  Scratch what I said.  There's more than the tracing rules then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I believe for an S-Corp your client can deduct the interest on schedule E UBE. Correction For the S-corp the deduction would go on the 1120S. Even if you use a personal CC for your S-corp it is deductible, but you must separate the personal from business. best to have a CC just for business, but all interest used for your business is deductible

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

I thought that was only for partners in a partnership. I don't think s corp shareholders can use that form.

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

Any thoughts?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Were the amounts "borrowed" handled as loans from shareholder or not?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Avs19
Level 5

I don't believe there's a formal note at the moment but one can be drawn up.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"but one can be drawn up."

Well, here's what I do: Did the S Corp pay the credit card directly, or pay the shareholder who then pays the personal liability?

Because even the IRS can find what is discoverable.

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

There was not enough money in the S Corp to pay the shareholder. The general contractor ran away with over 30K and the contractors that were working on the property came after her. It was a mess. She lost over 200K in the end. She was maxing out business and personal credit cards just to be able to sell the flipped property.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"There was not enough money in the S Corp to pay the shareholder."

That's a payroll issue.

"The general contractor ran away with over 30K and the contractors that were working on the property came after her. It was a mess. She lost over 200K in the end. She was maxing out business and personal credit cards just to be able to sell the flipped property."

That's sad.

Doesn't answer the question.

0 Cheers
Avs19
Level 5

The S Corp was not paying off the personal loans nor reimbursing the shareholder. The shareholder was paying off the personal loans with her own money.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Did the shareholder make a Capital Contribution to the corporation?  Or did the shareholder make a Loan to the corporation?  Or something else?

Avs19
Level 5

She made a capital contribution in the beginning when she purchased the house. The flip cost more than the business could afford so she was using her personal credit cards and loans to purchase materials in order to sell it. Can the materials and interest she racked up on her personal loans somehow be treated as capital or a loan?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Avs19 wrote:

Can the materials and interest she racked up on her personal loans somehow be treated as capital or a loan?

Personal money spent for corporate expenses is a capital contribution, a loan, or an unreimbursed employee expense.  You'll need to ask more questions to the taxpayer to determine which applies.

If it is a capital contribution, look at the Instructions for line 28 of Schedule E.

Avs19
Level 5

I'll do that. Thanks for your help!