Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent May 15th???

dascpa
Level 11

I personally think it's a great idea.  Really relieves the 20 hours a day, 7 days a week with no day off from Xmas to deadline. Who's for it? And how can we help to get it done?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

That's way too long.  Now if you went with a May 14th date, I would probably be willing to go along with the idea.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

My problem with this is the people who procrastinate for April 15 will procrastinate for another month.

And would an extension go until October 15 or November 15?

Ex-AllStar
dascpa
Level 11

We can still put our own cutoff date for starting new returns whether it's 04/15 or 05/15. I won't accept (yeah, right) new tax returns after the last Sunday in March (doesn't end up that way) but I do accept remaining missing data.  It's just with investment houses getting info so late, K-1's coming last minute I'm finalizing 60% of my returns in the last three weeks.  It's too much.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Let your State representatives, who created our current chaos, know how you feel about it.

The IRS merely and somewhat begrudgingly, in my opinoin, added the 4 weeks they shorted us on the front end to the back end. It's still 12 weeks like usual. Not that I'm complaining, I'll take any little extra time they give us this season.

dkh
Level 15

I want it permanently changed to June 15th  - May 15th doesn't help me.  I spend April 16th - 30th doing quarterly payroll returns and  financials for first quarter.   May 1st - 15th is personal property tax returns

IRonMaN
Level 15

How about the simple fix.  Get rid of extensions and just make the due date October15th?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

You can do it yourself right now just by telling all your clients you are filing extensions for all of them and if they expect to owe money, here are the instructions to make an estimated-tax payment online.  

You can explain to them that IRS wants highly-trained professionals to be preparing tax returns, and they want them to be doing it only two months a year.  The franchises support this because they rely on cheap part-time labor.  

When I worked for IRS in Illinois, covering several small posts of duty with a weekly Taxpayer Service visit, there was an office auditor at one who also (with employer permission) also held a part-time job as a shoe salesman.

Today, it's the shoe salesmen who work part-time doing tax returns.  

dkh
Level 15

Only problem with this is those clients that can't keep track of the paperwork they receive in Jan to bring to us by April 15th    They will be a nightmare to work with..... or maybe that's I good reason to cut them loose.........  🤔

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN "Get rid of extensions and just make the due date October 15th?"

Those who read my St Patrick's Day post know that in Ireland, the filing date is October 31 -- or maybe December, if done online. 

You don't want us to be like the Irish, do you?

I mean, that guy whose ancestors came from County Mayo . . .  ?

PATAX
Level 15

👍Das , great idea... Although July 15th sounds a little better