Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pension carryover from 2020 to 2021

rcooley25
Level 11

Am I right in saying that the people who say this carryover is to appear as other income are greatly mistaken. Since we are still going to have to show 1099r even after we fill out 8915F wont it still show up as pension income?

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

I haven't looked at form 8915F or the instructions for the form, but it sure would seem awfully wonky to report the income as other income rather than retirement income.

Slava Ukraini!
rcooley25
Level 11

I agree. Since along with filing out form 8915f we have to enter information on 1099r to get the information transferred over to form 1040 I dont see how peaple say it has to be shown as other income. Yes we have to use 1099r and I confirmed this with Lisa.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had clients with 2017 disaster distributions, the amounts appeared on the retirement income line each year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

not that I enjoy mentioning this (but I do, hahaha)....  Lacerte finalized 8915F.  The amount flows to Line 5b.

As an example, Client with  1099R gross 20K taxable 10K and $33,333 per 8915F, the following shows on 1040:

Line 5a: 20,000   5b: 43,333

Just a preview for folks patiently waiting for 8915F... 

Disclosure: The length of this post complies with @IRonMaN  standards.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

"not that I enjoy mentioning this (but I do, hahaha)"

Careful with those kinds of comments.  If you happen to run into a brick wall at some point with Lacerte, there are going to be a few people standing curbside "hahaha-ing" you.  I don't need the form, so I won't be one of those haha folks, but I will have a little smile on my face -------------- just because.

Well, as long as I'm here:

Every night, Paddy walks into a bar and orders three shots of whiskey
He downs each shot, pays the barman, and leaves.
The bartender eventually asks him why he always drinks exactly three shots.
“It’s one for me and one for each of my brothers,” he tells the bartender. “One is in America and the other is in Australia, and we do this to feel like we’re all still drinking together.”
A month later Paddy only orders two shots of whiskey.
“Oh no,” says the barman. “I’m sorry for your loss. Was it the one in America or Australia?”
“What?” Paddy looks puzzled, then glances at the whiskey glasses. “Jesus no, it’s nothin’ like that. It’s just that I’ve decided to stop drinking.”

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Good one!  Never expected any less from Paddy...

My hahaha was actually one ha for me, one for fellow Lacerter @George4Tacks and one for @sjrcpa.

So, I shall change it to --haha only.  Would this work? 

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
IRonMaN
Level 15

It works for me, but I don't need the form.  It might not work for everyone.

Slava Ukraini!