Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvania late payment penalty

Robert Balter
Level 2

how do I get the program to calculate this?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

For the record - I do not prepare Pennsylvania returns.   I just created one to see what happens.

Form PA-40, line 27 - Enter Code L -late payment and interest

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
dkh
Level 15

For the record - I do not prepare Pennsylvania returns.   I just created one to see what happens.

Form PA-40, line 27 - Enter Code L -late payment and interest

PATAX
Level 15

Make sure calculation is correct... PA looks like they are nickeling and diming people... Had clients receive notices for ridiculously small amounts... Just my opinion.

Robert Balter
Level 2

As to "PA looks like they are nickeling and diming people," you are right as rain, and they are often wrong on top of it all. So don't just check your own figures-- check theirs too!!!!!!!!!

And sometimes their assessments of penalties are penalties that don't apply, e.g., late filing when you had an extension. 

Be very careful with them-- and critical!!

PATAX
Level 15

Robert, you hit the nail on the head... Years ago corporate client paid a penalty for "late filing" to Pennsylvania after receiving a notice... Client paid this before letting me know.... I called Pennsylvania and asked them if there would have been a late filing penalty if the client had an extension .. The gentleman said of course not .... So I said that's funny because we have a copy of the extension that was filed and the certified mail receipt... He said hold on a minute, and then came back and said it was a  mistake or error.... Client received credit for the amount that he should not have paid...

Robert Balter
Level 2

Glad to hear, both from you and your result, BUT not even a surprise. 😎