Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF attachments questions

ajp
Level 5

First question:  When I attach PDFs, form 8453 prints out.  I am assuming that this form filed with the return.  I don't also have to send in the attachments, right?

Second question:  When I need to amend a return that had an attached PDF, I am assuming that I should delete the no longer relevant PDF and attach the corrected one in its place.  I am curious if other PDFs should remain?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

1. Form 8453 (with the required forms or supporting documents) must be mailed to the IRS within three business days after receiving acknowledgement that the return was accepted. An electronically-transmitted return will not be considered complete until a Form 8453 is received by the IRS.

2. Delete no longer used pdfs on the amended return. 

0 Cheers
ajp
Level 5

Really? Wow! So, what is the point of attaching pdfs if I have to print them out and send anyway?

One was a 1200+ page Brokerage document with lots of wash sale loss. Do I need to print out all sheets, or would a summary be enough?  

0 Cheers
ajp
Level 5

Perhaps I just send in the form, not the huge attachment?

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

i never attach a 1099.. i report dividends, interest, etc and totals for capital gains and losses.

0 Cheers
ajp
Level 5

I generally don't either, but this was an exception due to the shear number of Wash Sale transactions. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like you inadvertently triggered 8453, when 8979 Practitioner PIN should apply. When the 8879 is used, the attachments go with the return and no paper mailing required.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ajp
Level 5

Interesting.  The 8979 was used.  Thanks

0 Cheers