Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Year Resident Wages Allocation

DonnaBee
Level 2

I have a client that moved from OK to TX in 2019.

The W-2 state wages listed for OK is less than total federal wages (TX wages not subject to state income taxes so the W-2 does show the TX wages).  I have entered all info from the W-2.  I selected the part year residency in Part XI of info worksheet and entered the dates residency ends/begins between the 2 states.

When I go to the Part Year Allocation worksheets for wages.. the Fed amount is there, the OK amount  equals the amount entered from the W-2 as OK wages.  I entered the difference between Fed wages and OK wages as TX wages so my 2 lines for state wages equals Fed wages.

I'm getting an error message stating I need to enter another OK amount for wages on a new line.  If I try to remove the line it pops right back up.

What am I doing wrong??

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
DonnaBee
Level 2

I found out the issue.

I had a BLANK/ZERO W-2 worksheet in the return from a previous job the client had.  The blank/zero W-2 was causing the problem.  I deleted it and everything worked fine!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Tennessee has no state income tax...but I do a lot of Alabama and Mississippi part-year and Non-resident returns. So i am familiar with this.

What you should do is on the guy's w-2 in the state wages section (b15)... list his Texas wages on one line... ( just use 1 as the employer's state number) and the actual Texas wages... -0- in state w/h, and then  the OK wages on the next line in B15).  These two should equal Federal Wages.  Your allocation schedules should be ok after doing that.

He does have Texas Wages.... they are just not listed on the W-2 because they are not required to be... but he does have them.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
DonnaBee
Level 2

I tried that (more than once) before posting my question.

I had the OK wages on the 1st line of the state wages box and TX on the 2nd line.

After reading your reply I switched and put TX on the 1st line with the wages being the difference between Fed and OK wages and then put OK wages on the 2nd line of the state wages box.

I still get the same error on the allocation page.

On the PY Allocation worksheet I have the TX wages on the 1st line (auto filled in from the W-2 input), the OK wages on the 2nd line (auto filled from W-2 input) then the program adds a 3rd line and auto fills in OK for the Resident State and Source State and it is highlighted in PINK required something to be input.

I've put a ZERO on the highlighted pink line.. it just adds another line asking for OK source amounts.

Any other suggestions??

0 Cheers
DonnaBee
Level 2

I found out the issue.

I had a BLANK/ZERO W-2 worksheet in the return from a previous job the client had.  The blank/zero W-2 was causing the problem.  I deleted it and everything worked fine!

kernig78
Level 1

I AM ENTERING A STATE PART TIME ALLOCATION FOR 2 STATES WITH EQUAL INCOME. I KEEP GETTING THE REPEAT OF ONE OF THE STATE LOOKING FOR INCOME INPUT  ALTHOUGH THERE IS NONE. HOW TO CLEAR THIS?

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

for each W2.. even with a state with no state wages or state income tax.. fill in the State wages part of box 15...and box 16 ( and I usually just put 1 or something like that in employer's state ID.

The box 16s on multi state filers MUST agree with the total for all w2s...not that hard

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
DL7901
Level 1

Thanks that worked. I added the part year states to Box 15 of the W2 with the allocated wages. And it flowed to the Part year Returns.