Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part-Year Resident Tax Return Allocations

GodFather
Level 8

At the bottom of the info sheet is a section dedicated to Part-Year Resident information.  It allows you to input the dates of the residency period for the states involved.  I recognize different states have different rules for allocating income.  With that said, let's assume both states allow income to be allocated based on their residency dates.  Do you need to input the information in this section prior to creating the respective state returns?  Will that allow the allocations to happen automatically on each state?  I input the information in this section after already creating the two states.  I then needed to allocate the income on both states manually.  Just trying to understand the purpose of this section if it does not automatically allocate the income. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Income doesn't get allocated based on days in state.  Each item of income is sourced to a particular state where it was earned.  The PY dates at the bottom of the Fed Info Wks are your starting point but once you enter the state names and all of the federal income then you come back to the Fed Info Wks and Quickzoom into the PY Allocation Wks to tell the software which state the income is sourced.  W-2s pull automatically from the state portion of the W-2 Wks but most of the other items are most easily split on the PY Allocation Wks.  Then there are sometimes adjustments made in the individual state modules.

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
rbynaker
Level 13

Income doesn't get allocated based on days in state.  Each item of income is sourced to a particular state where it was earned.  The PY dates at the bottom of the Fed Info Wks are your starting point but once you enter the state names and all of the federal income then you come back to the Fed Info Wks and Quickzoom into the PY Allocation Wks to tell the software which state the income is sourced.  W-2s pull automatically from the state portion of the W-2 Wks but most of the other items are most easily split on the PY Allocation Wks.  Then there are sometimes adjustments made in the individual state modules.

Rick