Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part-year resident status

sabkosl13
Level 4

Hi everyone,

Taxpayer has Green Card, his wife also. They have two kids born in U.S. From January 2021 to July 2021 they lived together in other country. From August until now taxpayer with one child live in New Jersey. His wife and another child stayed in their country. I checked part-year NJ resident. 

What is taxpayer filling status? MFS?

And one more thing - his income is only from NJ source. I put this info in the allocation worksheet, but NJ count only part of this income. Is it correct? 

Thank you

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

"They both have green card."  One crucial factor: Green card dates and their presence in the US in the year they got the green card.  

If they got the green card in 2021, See  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/residency-starting-and-ending-dates

Green card holders are subject to worldwide income and pretty much all the general tax regulations.  A residency on foreign soil would make a difference for federal tax in only a few issues such as Foreign earned income exclusion...  FBAR is also applicable to green card holders.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

MFS.

You could do MFJ but in that case non US resident spouse has to pay US tax on their worldwide income.

Ex-AllStar
sabkosl13
Level 4

She don't want that, so MFS is OK. Thank you

0 Cheers
sabkosl13
Level 4

What about his income? Do you know, why the system use only partial? All his income is from NJ and was received during NJ residency. 

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

"They both have green card."  One crucial factor: Green card dates and their presence in the US in the year they got the green card.  

If they got the green card in 2021, See  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/residency-starting-and-ending-dates

Green card holders are subject to worldwide income and pretty much all the general tax regulations.  A residency on foreign soil would make a difference for federal tax in only a few issues such as Foreign earned income exclusion...  FBAR is also applicable to green card holders.

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

RE: What about his income? Do you know, why the system use only partial? All his income is from NJ and was received during NJ residency. 

Not enough facts given.  Did you report any foreign income?  If 100% of the income entered was from NJ, why would there be "partial"?? 

Did the system count one NJ source income but NOT another NJ source income (if so, check your input.)  

0 Cheers
sabkosl13
Level 4

I don't know why.

Business Income Worksheet shows full amount as taxable. It is same as Federal. 

In Part-Year Resident State Allocation Worksheet under General Information I put $0 for foreign country and full for NJ.

And in Allocation Worksheet under State system set part of income. 

0 Cheers
sabkosl13
Level 4

I fix it! I am not sure how, but now is OK.

Thank you 

0 Cheers