Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Year Resident Capital Gains

taxu2
Level 4

Client lived in Indiana 01/01/2021-06/30/2021 and then Illinois 07/01/2021-12/31/2021. When filling out each part year resident forms do I list for each state the full amount received for ordinary dividends, oil royalties and capital gains or are those just listed for one state? 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
GodFather
Level 8

There should be an allocations worksheet on the federal tab.  There is also a part-year resident section in the Federal Information worksheets that you should complete with the appropriate state and dates.  It's toward the very bottom.  

dkh
Level 15

Don't list full amount for each or client will be taxed based on full amount by each state?  Do you have enough information to allocate amounts based on actual dates dividends, royalties, cap gains were earned?   If not, I'd split amount 50/50 between states.

taxu2
Level 4

Ok, thank you. So the capital gains was from sale of stock. Can I just split that 50/50 or should I list the total amount in the state they were living when they sold it? 

0 Cheers
GodFather
Level 8

I think the date of the stock sale dictates the state that it should be included on.   If it was sold in February, I would not include it on the state I moved into July 1, as an example.  

taxu2
Level 4

Ok, thank you! 

0 Cheers