Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA revenue department notices and form 1630 underpay penalty.

Liesal
Level 4

I have had several at least 5 now in the past week and month whereby client gets a letter from the pa dept of revenue.  The letter is somewhat confusing and worded differently almost each time  but in the end it has to deal with they overpaid the underpay penalty (form 1630)but always less than $5.  check will be coming    I am not sure this is a  glitch in pro series, or something i have checked or a glitch with the pa dept of revenue( my likely suspicion).    

I do remember there was a situation i caught whereby estimate was made april 18 2023 and the 1630 was showing that as late and i manually changed the payment date to april 15 2023 .  The due date was april 18 for first estimate. On the tax payments worksheet its listed as April 18

To my memory april 15 2023 was a saturday and emancipation  days was mondaythe 17th  so due date was april 18 tuesday ?

many of the notices are for clients who did not pay estimates and software calculated.   But it appears to be wrong...

are others seeing this?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

The default was probably that payment would be made on April 15, and your clients probably paid it earlier (otherwise they wouldn't be getting notices this soon).  

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

On another forum many tax pros have complained about their clients receiving notices for less than $1, I.E. for cents. Some of the notices apparently have a negative sign before the cents which apparently means a credit. Many tax pros are not happy,  and are recommending contacting their Pennsylvania Representatives.

Liesal
Level 4

The current round of notices were set for April 15 payment and notices  coming out in just days... It is very odd and yes there is negative sign in bottom indicating a credit so intuit calculated too much penalty.  but i still dont see why or its issue on pa department  end.  Having 100 clients call for less than 5$ is ridiculous.

0 Cheers
Liesal
Level 4

do you have link to other forum.  

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

@Liesal the other forum is an email based forum for Members Only. I do not think that all of the other people who mentioned this are using proseries.