Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overpayment refund

graber38
Level 2

client prepared and filed return without my knowledge.  Paid the tax shown on return.  Since I did not know he did this, I filed extension and had IRS auto pay the tax again.   So he has paid twice.  Any way to expedite refund of overpayment or does he just have wait till IRS gets around to making the overpayment.  OR does he need to file a claim for refund

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I think he may be looking for you to make the refund to him tomorrow.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
They'll auto refund the overpayment, but no way to expedite it. Thats a weird kind of miscommunication though, for you to negotiate the direct debit, he needed to sign the 8878,,he didnt mention that he'd already paid it?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

I try to stay out of the tax payment business, but aren't we still required to get client signatures before directing the IRS to take money out of client bank accounts?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Ouch - I hope your insurance policy is all paid up

Slava Ukraini!
graber38
Level 2

thanks for nothing.  get a life

0 Cheers
graber38
Level 2

thanks.   my son

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@graber38  why the hate ???      Certainly you've been on this forum and know how it works.   Can't hate on a response you don't appreciate...just shake it off.

as to  your original post.....if the "client" is your son, guess he's just learned a lesson about not communicating with his preparer/parent

abctax55
Level 15

@graber38 

YVW.... and remember, you do get what you pay for around here.

DID you get authorization from the client to have the funds deducted?  At least a verbal authorization?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"thanks for nothing.  get a life"

You asked for help on an issue that people would like to understand a bit better, as to how something like this can even happen. Your input would possibly help others not make a similar error, or know what resulted in this error.

That's sort of the point of Community.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.