Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

other taxpayer social security number on mortgage interest statement

lyndaj0331
Level 4

I have an unmarried couple, one is itemizing and taking the mortgage interest.  The other taxpayer's social security number is on the 1098 mortgage interest statement.  I had this happen years ago and i remember having to put a note in with the other taxpayer's social and the fact that he was not taking the interest deduction.  Can't seem to find that option in ProSeries 2021.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I mark it as not on a 1098, since that TP doesnt have a 1098 to match up with that interest.

Ive never added anything to he return of the person NOT claiming the interest shown on the 1098.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I mark it as not on a 1098, since that TP doesnt have a 1098 to match up with that interest.

Ive never added anything to he return of the person NOT claiming the interest shown on the 1098.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxes96786
Level 9

Frequently the mortgage companies only show the first person's SSA on the interest statement. If both are on the deed and on the mortgage and I have to split the interest onto two returns I report the calculations I have made on each return and include that the deduction is from 1098 "SSN". This has never been questioned by the IRS.

The more detail you include on the return the less likely the return will be questioned.

0 Cheers