Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Filed Separate to MFJ

Ned Devine
Level 3

A seasoned citizen client comes in and says he got married last year but wants to file separately.  I informed him that it would cause him to pay more because it would make his social security taxable.  His new spouse has already filed her return herself.  She incorrectly filed single.  She did not include her social security in her taxable income.  Jointly they will be better off.  So, do I amend her original return and change it to a married filing joint return and add all of his taxable income, deductions, etc. to her amended return?

I am a Pro Basic User who does this for benefit of friends and family. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
PATAX
Level 15

Wow Mrs Einstein is married but still files single and forgets to include her social security income. And you want to get involved with this? Do you need the work? Do you need the money? If the answer to the latter two questions is no then do yourself a favor and tell them to go somewhere else. Sounds like a potential Royal PIA to me. I'm sure others will disagree with me but I could care less.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"do I amend her original return and change it to a married filing joint return and add all of his taxable income, deductions, etc. to her amended return?"

Yes if you accept this mission.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa👍 "if you accept this mission" you were being quite diplomatic.

Ned Devine
Level 3

Family friend, simple people.  Don't really want to do it. Not about money, but brother of one my best friends.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Why do you mention he is a citizen?  Did he marry a nonresident alien?  

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Bob I think he meant to say senior citizen 😁

BobKamman
Level 15

Salt of the earth