Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio School District (SD100) program changes and efile glitch ? Also some new RITA municipals missing ?

taxman1
Level 4

Anyone mess with the new SD100 screen ?  Seem we have to manually enter taxpayers MAGI in order for the program to calculate taxes due.  Never had to do this in the past.  Automatically carried over from State form.  Also what's going on with the Ohio program not allowing one to select efiling of the School return (greyed out).  I had to override the line to allow it to efile ?  Also on the RITA form the city of Urbana is missing ?  RITA now handles Urbana.  Is this a oversight or will be in an update ?

35 Comments 35
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

i just took a look at the new SD100. it is a lot different.. oh well

taxman1
Level 4

Lets hope this is addressed in an update. Especially new RITA municipals. Lovely RITA is a pain.

taxman1
Level 4

Issue resolved.  There is now an efile Ohio SD100 on the Efile Federal Info Screen.  All these prior years all you had was an efile Ohio in the drop down menu.  Now they have added a efile Ohio SD100 option too.  Why, after all these years ?  Who knows, but my issue is fixed.  Now just waiting on RITA updates to include new municipalities not in current release.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

thanks taxman... good catch

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@taxman1 have you tried to print an ohio return yet.. there is no yellow banner on top of the IT 1040 but it will not printj.

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

I had to manually select the Ohio forms needed on the Ohio side of the program at first.  Reason is, if there are any Rita forms or other forms not finalized it prevents the State return from filing on the Federal side of the program.  But I have since found that if you print on the Federal side and under "Choose items to print" deselect the State forms you know are not final.  Then hit print return and the State will print.  Hopefully its addressed in the 01/25/24 update.  Which I am about to see is available.

barb2
Level 2

I found the efile dropdown on the federal information form but the MAGI is still not auto populating.

Anyone figure out what to do on the OHIO SD 100 to have the form auto populate as normal?

taxman1
Level 4

I think the new norm is to manually put it in unfortunately.  The program does know when its an earned income based school.  If taxpayer lives in a earned income based district you have to put their magi in the right column for the form to populate and calculate the school return.  Otherwise the form will show nothing.  Thats why I believe you will have to do it manually from here on out.  

CarlaCPA
Level 1

I read this blog and it was helpful but there still is no sd100 calculating after I put in Section VI on the federal info sheet.  I had tried to force the return and it won't even populate the name.  Lost at this point.

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

On the state side, go to the school district tax screen.  At the top choose the "activate" button and below that you have to put in the school number, dates lived there, etc.  Most important you have to enter their MAGI in the appropriate income field (be it traditional or earned income school).  By entering their MAGI it will populate the form.  Also be sure to check the "school district" box on the main state info screen also.  Same area where you select RITA, Generic City, etc.  I know its a big pain this year.  Especially with RITA not being available yet.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

RITA is not available yet. but I found a workaround.. little clumsy but it is better than having to follow up and see client a second time.  that is have 2022 program open. (this works best if you prepared their 2022 return a year ago).

1. fill out the RITA form in 2023 program.. it will not print since form not ready yet

2. call up client return in 2022.. change the w-2 info entered for 2022 but using 2023 data... go to RITA side of the program.. review calculations.. print out 2022 RITA return only.. go to homebase but when asked to save return, click on no. 

3. get white out. white out the 2022 on top of the RITA return as well as periods worked a little lower on the form.. wait to dry.. enter 2023 on top of form and 010123 and 123123 in dates worked fields.

4. assemble RITA return.. staple w-2s. etc to the RITA return and give to client to mail in..

5. fed and state get efiled..  

presto.. not the best but like i said better than having to schedule a 2nd appt.

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

I've been just processing the Rita in the 2023 program, then using a fillable pdf of the 2023 form 37 and transposing the info that way.  🙂   Annoying but works till the release.  But the added 10 minutes to do it adds up.  Especially when the majority of our clients have to file Rita.  

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@taxman1 taxman. what is your major RITA city that you see.. mine is Medina

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

Our home town just switched to Rita (Urbana).  Plus 3 other towns in our county use them.  I hope they have added Urbana to the program by the 8th.  As of now Urbana is not an option in the Rita program.  But I just manually enter in the tax rates and credit rate.

0 Cheers
barb2
Level 2

Thank you for the clarity!  I was entering all as you posted-except for in the yellow boxes, I was expecting PROSERIES to bring that in automatically.

I appreciate you typing step by step.

Barb

0 Cheers
CarlaCPA
Level 1

Thanks so much.  I activated the return but did not put in the dates.  I hope they fix this because this has never been this much of a problem.

0 Cheers
ferglaw
Level 1

I spent the last hour on line with a Intuit "Expert" who could not resolve the issue

Unbelievable  every year

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

Did you get it resolved ? Or did this post fix the issue ?   I agree with support.  Makes you want to look elsewhere for software.  We started with CPAID back in the stone age.  Then they got bought out by Best Software.  Then Intuit bought them.  I miss the old dial up days.  Things were simpler then !!  🤣  

dgayled
Level 3

I did that but my SD100 still not populate and of course you can’t input your data manually without overrriding. All my other returns worked fine. I am ready to delete the file totally and start over unless someone has a real solution

0 Cheers
dgayled
Level 3

Mine didn’t work either on just this client.

0 Cheers
dgayled
Level 3

Ok that did it. Now what denotes earned income, I assume only my farm income, no social security or pensions right? I guess we never had to think about this before. So it goes in that table as well as down on line 41?

0 Cheers
dgayled
Level 3

I filled in the table with the resident dates and the earned income and voila, everything populated for me

shelbysauer
Level 2

Can you tell me where you are entering the MAGI?  I had to use the override because i couldnt find a place to enter this on the state side.

0 Cheers
barb2
Level 2

In the box that says School District Residency and Income Smart Worksheet.

ON the same line that asks for dates of residency and then it says Mod AGI Less Exempts (that is for the traditional tax base) next box it asks for wages amounts for the Earned Income Base.

ouadpi
Level 2

Not Oh well.  Very time consuming

0 Cheers
ouadpi
Level 2

Pain

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

takes 15 seconds more to do it this year

0 Cheers
Rob519
Level 2

I did what you did and got population of relevant boxes.  But then I went to the efile return (having already efiled Federal and Ohio returns), and get the message "Please verify the client data in this return" in the Returns to Electronically File box.  I have gone through the return and found no changes to be made.  And I have done another State Final Review without finding any errors.  I would like to efile the SD-100, but may have to mail it in.  Suggestions?

0 Cheers
taxman1
Level 4

Did you select the Ohio School District efile option in the federal info worksheet ?  Its new this year.  Before when you selected Ohio to efile on the federal info sheet, the school would be efiled too.  Now you have to select Ohio School efile too.  So now when you efile clients you will have three returns to select, convert and send.  Each client will have Fed, State and School (if they have a taxable school)

0 Cheers
barb2
Level 2

This is the first year that PROSERIES requires you to add OHIO SD 100 in the federal info sheet under state and city returns to e-file.  Once you add it there, you should be able to efile it,.

0 Cheers
dgayled
Level 3

I found that box and had to go through my prior returns that I thought were done, check the box, so then it popped up and allowed me to Efile it. The very first return I prepared seemed to file with the state return, cause I get an error message that says it is a duplicate return, so I am not worrying about that one. What a Pain! How do we know anything is working right?

0 Cheers
barb2
Level 2

Under the state efile area where you choose the state.  You choose OHIO, and you also choose the OHIO SD 100

0 Cheers
dgayled
Level 3

Mine did that but somehow it corrected when I pushed f9. I also had an error pop up that wanted me to put $0 in the column beside the wages in the self employment column. So dumb! Not necessary but the error left.

0 Cheers
Bear04
Level 1

I agree.  The MAGI is not auto populating and the electronic filing instructions for the SD100 are not printing on the instructions.  An lastly the auto withdraw of payment is not working because the payment coupon is printing. 

I did add the SD 100 to  the drop down list on the Federal Info tab but that did not check the box on the state info tab. 

0 Cheers
linduca1216
Level 7

I also found that my telephone number doesn't show up.   I double- checked on the federal tools under the preparer (me!) and the number does appear there so that is not the problem.   Hope the OH and Columbus issue (filing in coming year check box when printed out does not match the box checked in the program) are being addressed.   

0 Cheers