Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NYS Extension

Cpa-flyer 10
Level 2

Tried to E-file a NYS it-370 on Pro Series after my accepted 4868 came through and was getting an e-file error message that I had to correct Federal return errors. This is AFTER I filed my 4868 and of course the return had errors for missing data which is why I am filing the darn extension in the first place. 

Customer service told me to uncheck the "checking for errors" box and hit send. ONLY EXTENSION was highlighted The program instead filed the entire incomplete return!!   I have heard other people have had the same issue with NYS extensions. Now will have to Amend the NYS return

Why the heck would the program file the whole return when I was only asking for the EXTENSION ??

What's the point of choosing NYS extension only if this is going to happen..........

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
ljr
Level 8

Are you sure you UNCHECKED the efile state return and CHECKED the efile state extension boxes? I have been filing tons of NYS extensions over the past several days with no issue. I also send federal and state at the same time. 

Cpa-flyer 10
Level 2

So are you saying if the file state return box was checked, the tax program goes ahead and files the whole return even though you only requested to file the extension when you e-file?  Is this something unique with NYS? It does not work that way for my other returns or federal extensions.

That may be the issue, but customer support certainly did not think so when I did a screen share with them and followed their instructions which caused the return to be filed. Thanks for your reply.

0 Cheers
ljr
Level 8

Also did you efile from the efile center or from the return? I always file from EF center so when you pick the client you can see that it says extension and not return. 

0 Cheers
Cpa-flyer 10
Level 2

Yes I only file from the E-file center and only highlight specifically what I want to file.  I literally did exactly this with the agent witnessing.

I can't see ANY circumstance where the programmers should allow the entire return to file when only extension is highlighted in the e-file center regardless of what boxes are checked or unchecked. IMO this is a defect in the program that  should be addressed and fixed. 

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

0 Cheers