Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-resident State Income

ljhanson
Level 2

W-2 state wages are not flowing through to non-resident state return. The tax withheld does flow through but the wages, line 7 shows '0'. Prior years have never been a problem and I cannot find any differences in entries between this and past years.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
ljhanson
Level 2

Client lives in WA but does work in OR as well as WA.

I went back to that section (XI) and filled in OR non-resident. That fixed the problem. However, when I reviewed this before, it looked like I shouldn't enter anything there and I have not had to do that in the past. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do the 2 states have a reciprocal arrangement?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
ljhanson
Level 2

No. Resident state (WA) does not tax personal income.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you complete the non-resident state part at the bottom of the Fed Info Worksheet?

Which states are you working with?  WA sholdnt have anything anywhere, they dont have state taxes.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The tax withheld does flow through"

What is the tax you are trying to see? Cares Fund?

See if this helps:

https://www.rippling.com/blog/payroll-tax-in-washington

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ljhanson
Level 2

Client lives in WA but does work in OR as well as WA.

I went back to that section (XI) and filled in OR non-resident. That fixed the problem. However, when I reviewed this before, it looked like I shouldn't enter anything there and I have not had to do that in the past. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion.