Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ extension not accepted or rejected

LJHCPA
Level 4

I have a client filing a NJ resident return for the first time for 2021. His NY employer won't WH NJ tax (no explanation) so we know he's going to owe tax. I prepared the NJ extension request (along with Fed and CA NR extensions) marked each for appropriate payments and submitted them via ProSeries.

I searched for this problem and found a thread that appeared to be the problem I was having, but after posting I noticed that thread was a year old. I need a current year solution with urgency.

After submitting the extensions I noticed the report said regarding the NJ extension "...Not transmitted, the selected first extension(s) was not successfully converted for Electronic Filing..."  ProSeries shows the NJ extension status as "Sent to the State", but says nothing about rejection. The submission was done on 04/16 at 11:34 AM MST. Several follow-up status checks show no change in the NJ status.

I corrected the error in the NJ extension (forgot to put the date in the signature box--this should have been identified as an error, but it did not stop the submission process), but ProSeries will not allow me to re-submit the extension as it doesn't show as "Rejected". 

How can I get this NJ extension to be re-submitted by midnight tonight?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

NJ resident working in NY generally doesn't need NJ tax withheld; the Credit for Other Jurisdictions from NY usually is enough.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Maybe it's been accepted but for whatever reason it's not pulling through when you check the Receive Acknowledgment Status.     So try this... go the EF Center - highlight the return then go to   E-File>Electronic Filing>Update Acknowledgment Status  (not Receive Acknowledgment) 

0 Cheers
LJHCPA
Level 4

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and all I get is confirmation (green thumbs up) that the federal and CA extensions were received successfully.  Nothing is said about the NJ extension at all. It still shows as "Sent to State".  Can I get Intuit to manually reset the status so it can be retransmitted?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Can I get Intuit to manually reset the status so it can be retransmitted?

I don't know if that's possible but you can try calling support.

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

NJ resident working in NY generally doesn't need NJ tax withheld; the Credit for Other Jurisdictions from NY usually is enough.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
LJHCPA
Level 4

Thanks for that info. This will be my first NJ return, so I didn't know how generous their credit for taxes paid to another state would be.

0 Cheers
ljsmith2
Level 4

I also filed a New Jersey extension yesterday and it shows 'Sent to State' (along with one from California). Just waiting for acknowledgement.

This entire las week, California tax returns were taking a couple of days to receive acknowledgements and when they came through, the date accepted was the same date as filed two days prior.

My client also lives in New Jersey and works in New York. All W-2 withholding belongs to New York. 

He received a credit for the full amount of tax on the New Jersey tax return with a zero balance.

Hope this helps..

0 Cheers