Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York Convenience Rule

Summit1
Level 5

A friend has been offered a job with a company that is located in NY. He will be working from GA. In his job offer they referenced the New York Convenience Rule. Does this mean he will need to have GA and NY tax withheld?

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What does the NY Convenience Rule say?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Due to the rise of remote working and telecommuting various states have adopted the Convenience of Employer Rule to regulate income tax withholding. Under the Rule, employees working for a business located in one state but perform from another state are subject to the tax laws of their employer's state. As a result, individuals working for a business located in states (NY) that have adopted the convenience rule are often subject to double taxation-they must pay income tax in their resident state as well as their employer's state. 

I am just trying to see if anyone has experience with this and if there are any exceptions to avoid the double taxation.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

thats a terrible rule, I hope your client asks for a raise to offset some of this extra tax he'll be paying.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Why does this remind me of the Jack Paar joke about the Wayside Chapel?  Maybe because convenience is often paired with porcelain.  

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

I agree...there are exceptions but I didn't want to get to deep into that. I advised this person to contact HR and get advice and also ask to speak with other employees that are working with this arrangement.

0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Can't beat tax season humor!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

NY is like that.

The client should get a credit for tax paid to NY on their resident state return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Summit1
Level 5

Thank you for the information!

0 Cheers