Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Pennsylvania Corporate Nexus question

PATAX
Level 15

On the 2020 PA corporate net income tax report, I.E. Form RCT-101, there is a NEW economic Nexus question requiring a yes or no answer... Per Pa instructions it states to "check the box (yes) if the corporation is filing due to the NEW $500,000 rebuttable presumption of economic NEXUS. See corporation tax bulletin 2019 - 04 for more information". ...That bulletin, which was revised on August 6th 2020, states " consistent with the standards in this bulletin, the department will require taxpayers WITHOUT physical presence in the Commonwealth, but having Nexus with Pennsylvania under the Constitution of the United States, to file corporate tax reports for tax periods starting on or after January 1st 2020".... Pro Series automatically enters a YES to this economic Nexus question, even for established Pennsylvania based corporations that have all of their activity and physical presence in Pennsylvania....But based on what was just stated it appears that answer should be NO.... If I am right or wrong please let me know... thank you...

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I have never prepared a PA corporate return and I have not read the documents that you refer to, but based on your synopsis, it sounds like the software is a little over zealous checking that yes box.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

I have never prepared a PA corporate return and I have not read the documents that you refer to, but based on your synopsis, it sounds like the software is a little over zealous checking that yes box.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN👍 thanks Iron Man... On the other hand there are other items on this return that are the same from year to year, but every year I have to re-enter it, for example "Describe corporate activity in Pennsylvania".... I like Pro Series professional but IMHO I think that they place more emphasis on the federal modules...

IRonMaN
Level 15

You have to cut them some slack.  The folks working on the federal return work Monday through Wednesday.  They only have one person handling the state returns and Fred only works on Fridays.

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 👍 as tax preparers it would be nice if we had those hours... We are so used to working non-stop that we cannot even slow down after tax season... That is why I'm working today Saturday and probably tomorrow too.... I hope my glasses do not get any thicker, if they do I will be able to see satellites orbiting the Earth...👍🤓🐕