Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dell PC with both SSD and HD

pkcpa
Level 2

When you have a PC with both a solid-state drive (C:) and a traditional hard drive (D:)- do you keep the

Pro Series data on D? If yes, how do you restore your data to D ?  Pro Series is installed on C.

When I attempt to restore 2021 data it appears that I do not have the option to select D.

The default target directory is C: ProWin21\21Data. No option to select D .

Thank-you for your help. 

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think you have to manually create a directory on D as your first step

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Personally, unless the SSD is really small, I would keep it all on the SSD/C-drive.  And even then, the ProSeries data files are really small and don't take up much room.

SSDs have become larger and cheaper, so in my opinion, I would only use a traditional drive for things like backups, long-term storage, videos, pictures, and music.  Everything else I would run on the SSD.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It doesn't have to be really small.  The previous computer I had used a similar setup.  I originally loaded important stuff on that drive and then later in life I was busy trying to find stuff to clean off because I would get messages that the end was near and I needed to run for my life because the disk was almost full.  

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

The previous computer I had used a similar setup. 

Things have really changed with SSDs in the last 5 years or so.  So I suspect that the OP's "new" computer has a drastically bigger hard drive than your "previous computer", so it is unlikely to be a problem.  And as I said, the ProSeries data files are really small, so even if the SSD was very small, the data files would only take up a microscopic portion of the space.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I update computers every 3 years and my current computer is a year old.  For the record, I have more than ProSeries on my computer so I wasn’t dealing with an endless universe.  I found that Windows was a living breathing monster that kept wanting more space to gobble up.

Slava Ukraini!