Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NATO Pension Tax Declaration

Angie
Level 1

Working on a personal return for a new client who receives NATO pension. He is no longer overseas and has been in the US since mid-2021 - he's a US Citizen. There is no 1099-R since it's converted from EUR to USD. I tried searching the internet high and low but have found little guidance on where/how to report the taxes paid.

Does anyone have any guidance on where/how to report the "Tax Declaration" in ProSeries? I have the gross income entered under "other income" based on his 2021 return, but I don't know how I would provide the tax paid (deducted) or the insurance contributions. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

You would report that as pension but PS may not play nice without EIN.  You could refer to this post for a workaround but YMMV: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-reporting-pension/01...

My understanding is that NATO would provide partial reimbursements for tax incurred on pension alone without accounting for other income.  That's something to keep in mind but it's unlikely to impact this year's return so long as the claim can only be submitted after the fact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
itonewbie
Level 15

You would report that as pension but PS may not play nice without EIN.  You could refer to this post for a workaround but YMMV: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/re-reporting-pension/01...

My understanding is that NATO would provide partial reimbursements for tax incurred on pension alone without accounting for other income.  That's something to keep in mind but it's unlikely to impact this year's return so long as the claim can only be submitted after the fact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Follow @itonewbie  link and solution. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround