Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client volunteers for a non profit. she never got paid. They gave her a house from property owned by the non profit. Should they give her a 1099 for the price of the house? If so how would they claim it on their tax return?

JONI9611
Level 3

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Volunteers don't get paid.

Yes the value of the house should be reported on a 1099-NEC or W-2 if it was for services rendered.

The 990 reports it as wages or the specific category of service expense.

Ex-AllStar
JONI9611
Level 3

They want to give her a 1099S. That is not right because they did not sell a house. If the house is worth 400000. She would have to claim 400000 as earned income and pay self employment tax on it. Could they give her a 1099 and she could just claim as an asset.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Could they give her a 1099 and she could just claim as an asset"

I don't know what this means.

Why are they "giving" her a house?

Ex-AllStar
JONI9611
Level 3

They are giving her the house as a gift.

0 Cheers
JONI9611
Level 3

Non profit wants to give her a 1099 so they can allocate the depreciation of the house.

0 Cheers
Taxprohere
Level 7

It's a gift if it's a turkey at Thanksgiving.  Not a house.  Given in connection for her services, so the value of the property is compensation. 

There is leeway to regard this as 'other income' since she's not in the trade or profession of providing her services to the charity (admin work for example) and then not subject to s/e tax.  Likely disagreement on this point, but I'd disclose the position taken and put as not subject to s/e tax.

Taxprohere
Level 7

Something odd if the charity is giving her a house.  What do you mean by 'allocate the depreciation?'   Did a donor give the house to the charity, or does the charity run it for rental purposes such as parents needing to stay near hospitalized children?  Why did the charity give it to her?  How many years did she volunteer for them to have them do this?  Unusual I'd say!

IRonMaN
Level 15

"There is leeway to regard this as 'other income' since she's not in the trade or profession of providing her services to the charity (admin work for example) and then not subject to s/e tax."

But hold the phone.  How do you know that?  Maybe the house lady has a consulting business and part of that consulting is making nonprofits so happy that they give away $400,000 houses.

Slava Ukraini!