Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple residence - CA/HI

KJM14
Level 3

I inherited a client where the husband is retired and only received SS and nontaxable 1099-R. He lives in HI.  The wife remains in CA and has W-2 income (plus small amount of Interest).  Last year they considered him a resident of HI and her a resident of CA , They filed a resident HI return and CA 540 NR for some reason.

What I think I need to is file a resident return for *both* HI and CA.  And for HI I would do a Schedule CR to get a tax credit for the Tax Due amount in CA on her income.  This will still show him owing some HI tax.  I am assuming I DON'T do a CA Sch C for the amount of Tax Due in HI?

Is this the correct way?  Given CA is community property state, I wasn't sure if that plays into the picture as well.

thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You prepare a part year resident for both allocating the income to each state 

0 Cheers
KJM14
Level 3

so I do PY even though he was "full time" resident of HI (and owned a home there) and she was working and living full time in CA?  If I do PY, do I show them PY from 1/1 - 12/31?  thanks for the feedback and advice!!

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you do a PY, it allows you to say tax payer was full time, and spouse was Non resident. you do the PY for both states.