Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving ProSeries Data files from an Old Stand alone computer to a new stand alone computer?

VLP
Level 1

Moving ProSeries Data files from an Old Stand alone computer to a new stand alone computer?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
IRonMaN
Level 15

Load ProSeries on the new computer.  Use a flash drive and copy/backup all of the client files to the flash drive.  Take the flash drive and restore the files into the new computer.  

Slava Ukraini!
lrhenry04
Level 3

You will need to download ProSeries for each tax year that you want on the new computer. I put 2011-2019 on my newest computer. My staff's computer got 2015-2019.

All files will need to be "restored" into the ProSeries program on the new computer.

Copy the data files from each tax year from the original computer to a USB thumb drive (if not on a network). Save them to a folder labeled by year. example:  2018 data should be in the folder- c:\ProWin18\18Data. Save it to the thumb driver in a folder named 2018.

In your new computer, open 2018 ProSeries.

Go to: File>Client File Maintenance>Restore

Find your USB drive and the folder that you saved the files into.

Select All and restore.

I also copy and replace both the COMMON and HOMEBASE folders from the old computer to my new computer, this brings over all kinds of things like Employer Database and EFile Acknowledgments.

VLP
Level 1

Thank you!!

0 Cheers
Fergie
Level 1

So I tried to copy the entire Lacerte directory off my office PC to a thumb drive, then copied it to my home computer. I do have some glitches.  It comes up with import feature not available, and when I check for updates, it says there are none when I know that there are.  That's for the more current years.  The 2015 year will not run at all.

I was going to try and reinstall each year hoping that will cure the flaws without disturbing the tax data files.

If it works, I'll let you know.  If anyone is aware of any fatal flaws in this approach, please let me know.

Thanks.

0 Cheers