Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minnesota one-time tax rebate

frch0603
Level 1

Schedule M1M: Line 33 gives me perpetual error no matter what number is input, including 0. Anyone know how the MN State reduction for the rebate is suppose to work inside the program. Error reads that it cannot be different than the federal amount. 1099 for $520 was included in federal return, but program will not let me deduct the $520 on the Minnesota M1M, or let me input any number into Line 33, including 0.

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
DaveMark
Level 2

Mine was working just fine until today, Thursday, Feb 8....

0 Cheers
DaveMark
Level 2

Now I'm getting the same error message....

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

They updated Mn yesterday so what was working well before no longer works that way.  To get things to flow correctly I had to create a 1099misc form on the federal to get the state subtraction to flow correctly 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Careful, they might un-break it on the next update. <smh>

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  Did IRS issue any official opinion on whether this is taxable?  Last year they waited until February 14 to tell people to forget about the California MCTR.  And in Arizona all we have is what unnamed people at National Office told a Department of Revenue lawyer on a Zoom call.  

DaveMark
Level 2

Thanks....That worked for me too...

rbynaker
Level 13

@BobKamman wrote:

And in Arizona all we have is what unnamed people at National Office told a Department of Revenue lawyer on a Zoom call.  

Is that slightly more or slightly less authoritative than a tweet?

BobKamman
Level 15

@rbynaker  About the same -- courts will say even when IRS is brave enough to put its position in writing, it's just one side of the argument.  But there are always those who, when IRS says "Jump," will ask "How high?"

IRonMaN
Level 15

@BobKamman  - I saw in the news the other day that the IRS told MN tough nuggies.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN The only news I could find this week was a rehash by a clueless Kiplinger's rewrite reporter who was regurgitating a December news story.  That was based on some word-of-mouth by your governor complaining about what some nameless IRS source told some nameless Department of Revenue source.  

The December article explained, "The IRS noted that the federal pandemic emergency declaration ended on May 11, 2023; Minnesota’s Legislature didn’t give final approval of its rebate until May 21, with the governor’s signature coming on May 23.  Walz said the cutoff irked him."

In Arizona, our governor signed the legislation on May 11 (the last day of the pandemic disaster declaration).  So IRS can't use that excuse here.  Fact is they don't have any excuse, in either state.  If they don't get around to admitting it, the courts will help them with it.  

BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN OK, I found the letter that Commissioner Werfel sent to a member of Congress about this, last month.  Not Treasury Regulations.  Not a Revenue Ruling or any other published IRS guidance.  Just the opinion of a career bureaucrat.

https://stauber.house.gov/sites/evo-subsites/stauber.house.gov/files/evo-media-document/commissioner...