Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mini splits

pmlovitz
Level 2

A tax client paid for mini splits for the solar project on her roof, would this qualify for any credits on form 5695?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

I thought it was what people on a diet can order at Dairy Queen.

You might check this out:

In December 2019, the U.S. government renewed the 25C tax credit for high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment.

What it covers

• $300 maximum credit available for qualifying central Air Conditioners, Heat Pumps, Packaged Units and Ductless Mini-Split Systems

https://www.lennox.com/owners/tax-credits/energy-tax-credits

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

As we are tax preparers, not contractors... you may just want to explain what a 'mini-split' is.

( My first thought is that it's what I used to do a cheerleading practice.)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
pmlovitz
Level 2

Mini-splits are heating and cooling systems that allow you to control the temperatures in individual rooms or spaces. Mini-split systems have two main components -- an outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit (s) (evaporator). They are easy to install usually requiring only a three-inch hole...   Based on this I say no - 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Doesnt sound like part of the solar.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I thought it was what people on a diet can order at Dairy Queen.

You might check this out:

In December 2019, the U.S. government renewed the 25C tax credit for high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment.

What it covers

• $300 maximum credit available for qualifying central Air Conditioners, Heat Pumps, Packaged Units and Ductless Mini-Split Systems

https://www.lennox.com/owners/tax-credits/energy-tax-credits

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

A mini split is like what they put in hotel rooms, heat and A/C in a wall unit...I guess some might be considered highly energy efficient.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13

I would never order a mini split at DQ. Perhaps a maxi split?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You didn't describe if the solar is generating electricity, heating water? A mini-split has the output end (fan and controls) in the space to be treated and the functional end (heat pump, natural gas or electricity as the input used to generate heating or cooling air to the output) outside, separated; not like a wall unit, which is a space heating/AC unit all-in-one, and not like a central system with zones. That's why it can be high efficiency. I don't see how solar ties into this other than, it might be how they generate the electricity used by any appliance.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers