Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration Tool Question

MrTest20
Level 2

I got a WIndows 11 machine to migrate my previous years software to the new machine and want to use the Migration Tool.

*  Once I migrate the files and have them backed up on the desktop.  Am I commited to going forward or can I still use the previous versions - subject to licensing on one or many machines - in case I don't migrate over or run into problems?

*  Anybody else use the Migration Tool that has some pointers?

As usual, thanks in advance, superstars!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MrTest20
Level 2

I went ahead and used the Migration Tool.  Looks like it worked.

BACKUP:

In ProSeries 2021 (old computer):

1. Select Migration Tool.

2. It will ask if you want to continue and it will close Pro Series 2021.

3.  The Migration Tool will open up and you can select which years you want to back-up (on left side) or restore (right side).

4.  As you select the years it will list what you want to back-up or restore.

5.  Once confirmed it will write a back-up to your Desktop and open a link there.

RESTORE:

In new computer:

1.  Make sure you have loaded the Tax Years that you want to migrate.  It let me do 2019, 2020 and 2021.  2018 is Windows 7 only and at this time I am not going to mess around for Windows 7 compatability mode and will keep the software on my old computer.

2.  Open Migration Tool.

3.  It will ask where is the back-up so point to the file on the flash drive etc.

4.  It will list what software is there.  Select what you want to restore.  Click through.

5.  It should be relatively fast on our newer machines.

6.  Once finished, go into the respective years Pro Series and click through and it should have populated all your company information and then once done you will see all your clients.

Nice work, Intuit.

Update:  ProPDF files did not look to be part of the migration but those are easy to copy in bulk from the old computer to the new one.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive never heard of the Migration Tool, sorry.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
MrTest20
Level 2

I went ahead and used the Migration Tool.  Looks like it worked.

BACKUP:

In ProSeries 2021 (old computer):

1. Select Migration Tool.

2. It will ask if you want to continue and it will close Pro Series 2021.

3.  The Migration Tool will open up and you can select which years you want to back-up (on left side) or restore (right side).

4.  As you select the years it will list what you want to back-up or restore.

5.  Once confirmed it will write a back-up to your Desktop and open a link there.

RESTORE:

In new computer:

1.  Make sure you have loaded the Tax Years that you want to migrate.  It let me do 2019, 2020 and 2021.  2018 is Windows 7 only and at this time I am not going to mess around for Windows 7 compatability mode and will keep the software on my old computer.

2.  Open Migration Tool.

3.  It will ask where is the back-up so point to the file on the flash drive etc.

4.  It will list what software is there.  Select what you want to restore.  Click through.

5.  It should be relatively fast on our newer machines.

6.  Once finished, go into the respective years Pro Series and click through and it should have populated all your company information and then once done you will see all your clients.

Nice work, Intuit.

Update:  ProPDF files did not look to be part of the migration but those are easy to copy in bulk from the old computer to the new one.

0 Cheers