Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFS Community Property Income

Level 4

Hi, I use Pro Series Prof. my client lives in CA and wants to file MFS. It will be my first time. I cant really wrap my mind around the community property situation. I dont have any education or training on MFS for Comm. Prop. I tried doing a test in the software to play with it and see how it works.. and i read lots and lots of post on here regarding the situation and i see alot of people have issues with it. I also read pub 555 three times. On my test account i put Taxpayer has 20,000 of income and spouse has 40,000 of income on 8958 and noticed that didnt change the numbers on the return. So i pulled up the "Other Income Statement" Line 13 and seen a positive community property adj and a negative comm prop adj. I entered in the amounts there and same thing happens.. nothing the spouses income doesnt show up anywhere on the return. I also don't understand how the tax works.. so if taxpayer makes 20k..and spouse makes 40k.. so total community property income is 60,000. If I take 50% of that i get 30,000. so do i have taxpayer pay tax on her 20,000 plus tax on the 30,000 for her total income to be $50,000? and her spouse what do i put on his..he made 40k..but if i add 50% comm income that brings him to 70,000? Im so so confused and just wondering if i should just refer the client to someone else. I want to learn but not sure where to go to learn. Also what about federal tax withheld do i need to do 50% of that too? Im so lost and wondering how everyone else learned how to do MFS returns I feel so embarrassed asking this question. 

30 Comments 30
BobKamman
Level 15

Do you have just one client, or two? Where does the other spouse live -- also in California?  

If one has income of 20K and the other has income of 40K, then each pays tax on 30K.  I would show the computations on a separate spreadsheet, then plug in the "split" numbers to the software and file paper returns.  Instead of spending all day trying to pound square pegs into round holes.  

JRC
Level 8

I complete a MFJ return first combining all income and expenses on this.

Then USE Form 8958 as a guide to split each item 50/50% between them.

After this you then need to prepare Two other returns that they will be filing Married Filing Seperate.

Use Schedule 1 to allocate the incomes between themselves.

Pain in da but to do.

HOPE2
Level 8

what about when the other one is not available?

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

I would report your income 100% only than. MFS. 

Who knows the other person may be living out of state or the couple may not be living together and unable to reach the other spouse.

What else can you do....

sjrcpa
Level 15

"what about when the other one is not available?"

What does this mean? 

The other spouse's income is not available?

Did they cease living together? If so when?

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

Check state law on when the community is considered to have ended.  

Roz1
Level 3

This might not be the best answer, but I just check no on form 8958.

Then I report only the client's income.

If they share income property you can issue schedule E w/50% split.

I have a few clients that file married separately and it works.

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

SCHEDULE 1? I mean that if you make 50% for each new return why Sch 1 to allocate? How do you make 50% of a W-2? Confused!

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Yes, assume around Sep 20th 2022, one went out and said good bye to see you at court and never pick up the phone and answer by email. The other one keeping house and living. 

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Schedule E?????????!!!!!

0 Cheers
Level 4

ok thank you. so basically, if I can word it correctly the spouse with the lower income has to pay taxes on their spouse's income and then the spouse with the higher income gets a tax break since part of his income was shifted over to his lower income spouse. 😞 Seems so unfair i wonder the reason why they make people do this on tax returns. 

Roz1
Level 3

I wrote Schedule E, not W-2's.

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

I have another question. If spouse prefer to file MFS and any of those wants to file his/her own income what about 8958? In this scenario both are available.

And if we leave this box unchecked : Are allocated community property ...... for in communnity prop state what happens?

When this matter? Once they want to get divorced? When they want to ......? I do not know? What was the philosophy of creating 8958? 

Most of the clients who one has high income and his/her spouse has low income they did not pick up 50/50. If they do not take 8958 should leave uncheck that box? 

A hero come in here and save me from this misunderstanding.

Proseries even has no any video for this MFS, but has a lot of videos for selling E-signiture ....

Level 4

So I did some reading and i realized that on some of the very few MFS returns i did i never realized or understood "Community Property Income" so basically when i seen form 8958 i always check "no community property income" and bypassed the form.. as of today neither i or my client has had any issues but as of this year i will no longer ignoring 8958 and will be advising clients that they now have to report comm prop income.. they will prob go somewhere else.. or they might end up filing as mfj.. but if they still want to do MFS I feel like referring them to someone more knowledgeable regarding comm prop income. i did read on pub 555 that if the taxpayer tried obtaining the spouses income and wasnt able to get it then we can put "no" on form 8958 and we must document our files. i have 2 clients who are married to each other but going thru divorce and i mistakenly kept both of them as clients but now i realize i need to either fire both of them and refer them elsewhere due to conflict of interest etc. if any of what i said is wrong please correct me as i am still learning. 

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

I feel you completely.

HOPE2
Level 8

If they share income property you can issue schedule E w/50% split.

I was asking you, Sch E? For MFS?

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Do not give up. Lisa and IronMan are always helpful. Wait!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Why does it seem unfair?  No one forced them to get married, and no one is forcing them not to enter into a "disregard community property" agreement.  (It doesn't have to be premarital.)  Generally, IRS doesn't care as long as someone pays tax on all the income.

A page of history is worth a volume of logic.  Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. said that.  Do you know why there are joint returns?  Because in the early days of the income tax, married taxpayers in community-property states avoided the higher brackets by splitting their income, following state law.  And Congress didn't include "community property laws shall be disregarded" to the statutes, as it does in some cases now.  What it did was to make it possible for everyone to use lower brackets, by filing joint returns.  The top of the form may say "Individual Income Tax," but that's just another lie, we all know it's a tax on couples, enacted back when everybody was expected to marry and nobody was expected to divorce.  

HOPE2
Level 8

Hi Bobkamman, could you please help me to get answer of my questions: 

I have another question. If spouse prefer to file MFS and any of those wants to file his/her own income what about 8958? In this scenario both are available.

And if we leave this box unchecked : Are allocated community property ...... for in communnity prop state what happens?

When this matter? Once they want to get divorced? When they want to ......? I do not know? What was the philosophy of creating 8958? 

Most of the clients who one has high income and his/her spouse has low income they did not pick up 50/50. If they do not take 8958 should leave uncheck that box? 

A hero come in here and save me from this misunderstanding.

Proseries even has no any video for this MFS, but has a lot of videos for selling E-signiture ....

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

It is not a question of client preference.  If there is community income, use Form 8958.  If it isn't, the clients should have some evidence of that if they are residents of a community-property state, and then they can report just their own income.  Since separate returns usually result in more total tax being collected, IRS is unlikely to audit them in order to issue a refund.  But there is really only one right way to do it.  

On the other hand, MFJ should not be the mindless default.  Too much time is spent by too many taxpayers and advocates, on "innocent spouse" cases, Preparing tax returns should not require training in psychology and counseling, but unfortunately the risks can't be ignored.  

HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks a lot, it was very helpful.

Sorry about that I ask this question. I have read one post here, one said that I leave unchecked box on 8958 in Community state and I enter all income of one spouse. Is this ok? or should be checked in all of circumstance when we file MFS since we are in Community sate like California even the other spouse file MFS.

0 Cheers
Level 4

quick question do we do anything with the federal tax paid on the W2 can we split 50% of the fed tax paid? or only splitting the income? my client had 45,000 of income and her spouse made 140,000 of income and shes getting hit with a huge tax bill when i add 50% comm prop income and her husband said good he is happy that she has to pay his tax. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

You split the withholding too.  

Level 4

here would i split the withholding at.. sorry for the questions but your help is greatly appreciated 🙂 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Same way you split income -- 50/50.

Get it out of your head that what's his is his and what's hers is hers.  What's theirs is theirs.  Everything you need to know about sharing you learned in kindergarten.  Share the income.  Share the credits.  

HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, should be attached  all W-2s from couple to each separated return or for each return just only his/her own W-2 and other documents, I mean what documents should be attached even 1098, 1099-div,....

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

Thanks, do you leave unchecked the box on 8958 in community states like CA and did it work?

0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

I think this is a good idea as we disregarded comm prop, thanks for your support. But one thing more, at this situation, what documents do you attach for wife or spouse? Do we need attach her W-2, 1099-B or 1098 mortgage,... to FED?  Or state?

A speedy response will be much appreciated.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"...what documents do you attach "

Are you paper filing ??

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
HOPE2
Level 8

I did not get it?

0 Cheers