Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFJ, One spouse moved to Oregon, one stayed in CA, why am I struggling with this

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im sure Im making this more work than it should be, how is this set up at the bottom of the Fed Info worksheet?

Married Filing Jointly

Have a home in California, purchased another home in Oregon

Working spouse stayed in CA for all of 2022, non-working spouse moved to Oregon (both are in OR now as of Feb 2023)

Do I mark this as part year/part year and use the dates that the non-working spouse moved, then just tailor the dates on the CA NR for the spouse that stayed in CA all year?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

OK, I think I got it now, I deleted the junk in that bottom section of the fed info worksheet and deleted both states, then started over from scratch now everything seems like its flowing better!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
ljr
Level 8

I stopped using the bottom of the federal info worksheet for the states (full year/part year/nr) - it would override what I knew I wanted to do or what should happen on the states. I would do the joint federal then based on what said here I would do a MFS resident CA return for the full year resident and a MFS part year CA / Part Year Oregon for the other spouse. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

CA filing status has to match the federal filing status so no MFJ on fed and MFS on state, but maybe I can just skip over the bottom part of the fed info worksheet...it usually works really well for me, maybe my brain is just too mushy today!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

OK, I think I got it now, I deleted the junk in that bottom section of the fed info worksheet and deleted both states, then started over from scratch now everything seems like its flowing better!

ljr
Level 8

great ! 

0 Cheers