Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LLC election to S-Corp

KTimber
Level 3

Before I set on, just a note of thanks for all the help community members have given to those who always have questions. Blessings to you all.

A client of mine established an LLC in May of 2021; he did not make any money in 2021 and 2022 with the LLC and did not file taxes for the two years. He did file individual taxes, though.

He just got into a lucrative contract and hopes to make a lot of money in 2023. He wants to elect to file Form 2553 and file as an S-corp. He meets all the requirements on Form 2553. The question is, should he file the previous year's taxes even though there was no income?   What are his chances for approval?

Thanks

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
abctax55
Level 15

What state?

Is it a single member LLC?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
KTimber
Level 3

Sorry, New York state, and a single sole member.

Thanks

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

A timely S election for 2023 was due March 15, 2023.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
KTimber
Level 3

Hmmmm!!  Do I have any recourse?

Thanks

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

The 2553 allows late election with explanation of reasonable cause for filing late - see line I of Form 2553.

Over the years, I've had two filed late.  Both times IRS approved the S Election.

KTimber
Level 3

Thanks so much

Best 

HOPE2
Level 8

DO NOT WORRY, YOU CAN FILE 2553, IRS WILL ACCEPT THIS CONVERT. BUT THE BEST IDEA IS TO CLOSE LLC AND OPEN THE NEW S CORP.

0 Cheers