Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K-1 from a Cooperative

Rosario - CSLP
Level 3

Hi ProSeries family,

Does anyone have an insight about this find of return?  A have a client who is a member of a cooperative and she got a K-1 (form 1065).  She is a limited partner and her Part III Partner's share is the following:

Box 1. Ordinary Business Income $3,002

Box 4a. Guaranteed Pymts $22,166. (this is also the Total Guaranteed - Box 4c)

Box 14. Self Employment Earnings    A.$25,168.   B.$22,160

Since she is not self-employed but a member of a cooperative, is she able to make deductions?  Since she has self-employment earning, can she fill out a Schedule C? If not, and if she can enter deductions,  where would she?

I appreciate any help on this.

Rosario

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If she has expenses she paid personally on behalf of the partnership (cooperative- whatever it is called) that will not be reimbursed, on the Schedule K-1, under line 20Z there is a quickzooom to enter unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE) where they can be entered and deducted.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Take the numbers provided and enter them on the K-1 worksheet in the client's 1040.

Slava Ukraini!
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

If she has expenses she paid personally on behalf of the partnership (cooperative- whatever it is called) that will not be reimbursed, on the Schedule K-1, under line 20Z there is a quickzooom to enter unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE) where they can be entered and deducted.

Rosario - CSLP
Level 3

Thank you, JeffmCPA2010.  I do see the 20Z worksheet and, of course, it does not look at all like an Sch. C.  Can the client deduct home office, internet, and mileage, etc. similarly to a Sch C?

Thanks so much for your time.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Cooperatives can be an apartment building in New York City or a collection of silos in Iowa.  Tell us what is really going on here.  And don't assume the K-1 is correct.  Paying Social Security tax when not eligible for benefits based on real work, is just as illegal as tax evasion. 

Rosario - CSLP
Level 3

Hi BobKamman,

It is a cooperative of people that offer similar services.  This one is more admin; I have seen other for interpreters. The cooperative gets contracted by other organizations.  That is why this k-1 shows self-employment income.

Thanks for your help.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If she is offering services, it sounds like self employment and it should find its way to Line 2 of Schedule SE.

Rosario - CSLP
Level 3

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info.  I believe I cannot mix k-1 income (even when self-employment is involved) with Sch C. How then do I deduct home office for this individual?

Thanks!

Rosario

0 Cheers