Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s going to be a long tax season

IRonMaN
Level 15

Client was in today to see where they were sitting tax wise.  Part of the discussion involved “did you collect the child credit advance payments”.  

“No I elected out”.  

“So you went to the IRS website and made that election?”  

“No, by not responding to the IRS letter, I elected out”

”But you received the payments, right”

”Nope, never got a dime”

“Check your bank account”

”Oh, I guess I collected $4500”

😢

Slava Ukraini!
35 Comments 35
abctax55
Level 15

Any client that can't produce the letter (s) is likely gonna' be fired on the spot. I have zero patience already, and that's unlikely to improve in the coming weeks.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think I am just going to fire any clients that have kids😜

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

But that still leave the EIP 3 question... so fire all clients under the income cut-off?  Hmmm, I'm liking this strategy 😂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
ljr
Level 8

The amount of people that do no do a bank reconciliation is amazing to me. And the fact that they don't even look at it but the balance goes up and they think what? a miracle?

PATAX
Level 15

Yeah they just guessed that they received it.... I bet you if they loaned you $5 ten years ago, and you still haven't paid it back, I bet you they would remember that real quick... JMHO

PATAX
Level 15

What about the clients that are going through a divorce or separation and have young children... That is going to be real fun isn't it?...JMHO

mdtao31
Level 7

ironman,we should be the highest paid people

on the planet.how in gods name can someonesay received

no credit, however thier  account balance

is 4500.00 more.b biggest fool since abe lincoln

went to the movies

regards, LARRY

stay safe

btw iman HAPPY HOLIDAYS

IRonMaN
Level 15

It was a Christmas miracle!

Happy Holidays to you too🎅🏼

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

and we have to do the same thing with the $ 1,400 EIP. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

But we had practice with that one last year. 😢

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

Yep  Went throught a similar situation.  Helped client set up account on irs.gov because they said they only received first two advance payments by check then nothing.  First two payments were by check then the rest were direct deposited....sigh..   Now I understand they were expecting checks for all - not sure why IRS would switch payment methods BUT how in the he!! do you not know you've been receiving $1050 each month for 4 months.  Client's response when we pulled up info was - "how embarrassing."

I'm already stocking up my liquor cabinet in anticipation.   

IRonMaN
Level 15

I forget, did I happen to mention it is going to be a long tax season? 

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

What really irks me..... I have some clients asking me if I'll be able to get their taxes done quicker this next year.      hahahahahahahahahaha         

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

especially those that had to wait extra long the past year.......JOY!! Not! 

Accountant-Man
Level 13

Like I said long ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
PATAX
Level 15

That was great accountant-man... LOL

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the clients says they received less than the $1400/person for EIP or $1500/$1800 per Child, they need to provide me proof before I do ANYTHING. 

Ideally, the actual IRS notices are best, but I will type up directions for how to get an Account Transcript at IRS.gov, and if they have trouble with that, how to fill out a 4506-T (with an explanation that may take a long time to receive that information).  They need to be responsible for getting me that information, so I won't do anything until I get that.

dascpa
Level 11

Be thankful.  Due date is Monday April 18th.  Friday the 15th is Emancipation Day in DC.  I think ME and MA are the 19th since their Emancipation Day is the 18th.  All I know is this tax season will suck. When the ball drops on New Years everyone is all happy.  Me - nope.  I know tax season starts again. Placed an ad for seasonal tax preparers.  Got two waitresses, one truck driver and a pole dancer who applied.  Probably will hire the pole dancer......

IRonMaN
Level 15

The pole dancer is probably a wise choice for you.  Are you going to be installing a pole in your office or do you already have one?

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Nah...  April 15 or 18 or 19 will come and go.  So will March 15 and Oct 15.  After all these years, the tax season ain't gonna to be long or short for me.

Let me steer the discussion from pole dancers to something totally clean, and no joke is cleaner than one from from the Readers' Digest. 

A kid asks his father, "Dad, how could it be that, every day, there is just enough news to fit perfectly on the newspaper - nothing more, nothing less?" 

All right, that quip was circa when newspaper was THE medium...

To me, tax seasons are just like that.  No matter what, my work always fits into the timing boxes called the Tax Season.  Nothing more.  Nothing Less.  It's magical.  It's clockwork.

Happy holidays!

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
PATAX
Level 15

@joshuabarksatlcs you are exactly correct Joshua... We automatically adjust to the workload to finish it... For me, when I get jammed up I automatically wake up earlier than The Beverly Hillbillies did.... happy holidays...

IRonMaN
Level 15

But some of us might like to sleep in.

Slava Ukraini!
ff
Level 4

When I grow up, I wanna be an accountant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoydCykwMWs

IRonMaN
Level 15

But I don't want to grow up.

Slava Ukraini!
janine
Level 4

This is fun reading all your comments.  However this one deserves a reply.  I will also NOT prepare a return until the amounts are confirmed.  I had my share of calls and letters from clients this year.

I was not happy about how clients do not understand "what happened?" "why is it taking so long?"  I think I will also write a memo on how to go thru their bank account and check if these moneys were deposited.

😂😂

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I think I will also write a memo on how to go thru their bank account and check if these moneys were deposited."

You have clients that can read?  Your clients are more advanced than mine😆

Slava Ukraini!
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8
Yes, clients have no idea what these payments are for.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe some of them thought they won the lottery and forgot to tell the lottery officials that they wanted the lump sum payment.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

at the risk of offending ladies here....Im hiring the pole dancer!!!! 

IRonMaN
Level 15

You are assuming the pole dancer was female?  Poolcleaner's pool boys have taken off a lot of weight so maybe they gave pole dancing a whirl.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

So, my wife and I will be moving this year and I wanted to install a pole in my office and then I figured a FIREMANS pole from our bedroom to the office. How cool would that be??

Now to answer your question, if the dancer is male, I will advertise that and I will get ALL kind of female clients!! WIN-WIN!!! 

PATAX
Level 15

@garman22 at least you will not have to make coffee anymore to stay up... Just joking😉

IRonMaN
Level 15

"I wanted to install a pole in my office and then I figured a FIREMANS pole from our bedroom to the office. How cool would that be??"

Cool going down, but a bugger getting back up😰

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@PATAX wrote:

@garman22 at least you will not have to make coffee anymore to stay up... Just joking😉

Bwahahahaa!!! Amen to that. 😂🤣😂

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

"I wanted to install a pole in my office and then I figured a FIREMANS pole from our bedroom to the office. How cool would that be??"

Cool going down, but a bugger getting back up😰

Your killing me!! Lets not tell the wife. 😉