Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues getting tax on Partnership Final K-1 with box 9a filled, what information is needed on K1P form that generates?

GKK
Level 1

Trying to input a Final K-1 for a partnership that was formed to give proceeds of a home sale to various members of the family after the death of a parent. This is the last K-1 for the partnership. 

There are 5 checkboxes checked, domestic partner, limited partner or other LLC member, schedule K-3 is attached if checked, no to letter M for if the partner contributed property with a built in gain and Final K-1 at the top. 

The only value on the entire form is in box 9a (net long term capital gain(loss)).

When you check K-3 is attached an error message pops up, I am assuming we leave this checkbox blank. 

The Final K-1 checkbox is where I have a problem, or maybe a lack of understanding. I have selected "Final K-1", then selected "Partnership was discontinued during 2023" This generates page K1P. I selected Part II box 1a, "complete disposition in fully-taxable transaction" and then box 1 below "sold partnership interest". I inputted dates for the date of disposition and date it was acquired. The dropdown of how acquired I selected inherited. Box 5 sales price I have placed a 0 in it. If I put any value in here it adds it to the value already on line 9a of the K-1. I also placed a 0 in the basis box. 

My question is, does this sound like it is done correctly? Do I need to report a sales price and a basis on the K1P? It seems correct to me but the tax on the amount of income shown seems low when checking the 1040.

I could remove the form and check the tax against the home sale worksheet(possibly). I may just be paranoid, or have been staring at this for far too long. 

There is a K1 attached for a separate state (where the property was sold). I added the state return and allocated those amounts to the state.

Any help is appreciated, hopefully I have been doing this correctly. Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@GKK wrote:

Would it be better to not check the Final K-1 box and simply remove the form next year? 

You are correct, the partnership was formed to distributed the sale of the home, its only asset and was dissolved.

ProSeries will continue to bother you for sales info when you hit the Final box, I think theyre might be a "dissolved" choice but it still wants more info, so you can put zeros or just not mark it as final and remove it next year. Unless of course your partner still has basis and received nothing when it dissolved, then I guess youd have a loss to report.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

Sounds like no one sold their partnership interest.

Rather, the partnership sold its only asset, distributed all the cash, and dissolved.

Ex-AllStar
GKK
Level 1

Would it be better to not check the Final K-1 box and simply remove the form next year? 

You are correct, the partnership was formed to distributed the sale of the home, its only asset and was dissolved.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@GKK wrote:

ProSeries will continue to bother you for sales info when you hit the Final box, I think theyre might be a "dissolved" choice but it still wants more info, so you can put zeros or just not mark it as final and remove it next year. Unless of course your partner still has basis and received nothing when it dissolved, then I guess youd have a loss to report.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

I'd still mark it final. I don't use ProSeries so can't help you with your issue.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers