Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something in ProSeries that tells if we even need to file a return?

ekillinger
Level 1

Basic return that appears to be below filing thresholds - at least at the Fed level.

Is there some easy code or report that says it isn't necessary to file a return.

Knowing state levels are different than Fed, is there something in the state modules that 

8 Comments 8
Camp1040
Level 10

I really don't believe that is the software's decision!

IRonMaN
Level 15

That's why your clients pay you the big bucks.  They want you to make those complex decisions.

Slava Ukraini!
ekillinger
Level 1

Decision - no.

But you'd think the software would be able to say that based on the entries you made and zero tax due, that you are below the threshold and don't even need to actually file what was entered.

Camp1040
Level 10

Really? As posted by @IRonMaN  I would say that is your job. Especially since you stated it's a really basic return. 

Some clients want to file a zero return to stay in the system for the next round of stimulus payments. 

abctax55
Level 15

@Camp1040 

Wow.... aren't you cynical 🤣 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Camp1040
Level 10

And your tag line is?😅

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I know in California, even if you dont have a filing requirement, there still lots of people that CA expects to file a return.

If you have any type of state issued license (nursing, cosmetology, security guard, etc) CA expects a tax return even if you had zero income. 

If you have a mortgage on a home located in CA, the FTB wants a tax return.

So I wouldnt rely on the $$ filing requirements completely when deciding whether to file a return or not..

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxes96786
Level 9

Don't need to report that return is not necessary but, if it isn't....you file for withholding or credits client may be intitled to received.