Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to send an invoice with the 8879 forms and tax return that must be paid before the client can download the return?

A new client reported another firm that does this. Not with ProSeries. The client received a link to the tax return and efile forms and invoice but could not download until he paid the invoice. Is such a thing possible with ProSeries? 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You must give the copy of the return to the client in order for the client to sign the 8879. I generally bill client before sending 8879, and copy of return, but be aware you are required by IRS to give client copy of return to sign 8879. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, kinda hard for a client to review the preparers work if all they see is an 8879.  That sounds more like a kidnapping  -----"if you ever want to see your return alive again, give me money".  I bill my clients when they receive the return.  Some pay on the spot.  Some pay a few days later.  And of course, some take what seems like decades, but they do pay.  I probably shouldn't write a book on how to collect money, but I somehow manage to keep the doors open and keep my clients happy so I guess it works for me.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

In 40+ years I could count on one hand the number of individual tax clients who did not pay me.  So to me your concern would not be an issue.  Then again, if I was concerned I wasn't going to get paid, I would not have them as a client.